Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I got attacked by a moth!

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 1:17 pm
Last night as I was just tucked under my covers and closing my eyes at 2 am, out of nowhere something fluttered in my face!! Of course I jumped out of bed and couldn't sleep well the rest of the night. I tried to find the thing and came up empty handed. But I have seen some huge moths in our apartment, at a rate of once or twice a week so I am pretty sure that's what it was.

I can't stand them, it's so disgusting. How can I get rid of them and still have my apartment and belongings safe to be used and chewed on by my 7 month old? (meaning I think I can't use a "bug bomb")

And where are these things during the day? Can I sneak up on them and kill them during the day, are they mating? Where? How do I destroy larvae? Help!!!!!!!!!

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 1:30 pm
I had an infestation in my pantry a long time ago and that was the worst as they were in everything, even closed packages. I had to go through everything there and then they disappeared.

Pretty gross but not as bad as cockroaches or ants. Actually, I have seen a few moths lately but until it CV"S becomes an infestation, it is hard to see where they are coming from.

Good luck!

louche

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 1:36 pm
relax. moths only chew up clothes, and don't carry disease. they're not even in the same league as roaches and flies. (actually it's the larvae that damage the clothes, so you can have a problem and never see a moth. Also, moths are attracted to light, as are all flying bugs, so they can fly in to your house from outside if your windows are open and the lights on at night. That doesn't mean you have a moth problem.

. step # 1 is cleanliness. they eat sweat and dirt, so never store clothes that have been worn even once unless you first wash or dry clean. clean out, vacuum and wipe down your drawers and closets on a regular basis.

sunlight kills the eggs, so shake out your clothes outdoors in sunlight if you think they're infested. You can also put your clothes in a hot dryer if the fabric can stand it. NOn-dryable clothes can be put in the freezer for a few days. Or just hang them up in bright sunlight if you're not worried about fading.

repel moths by putting soap slivers, lavender flowers, mint leaves, cedar chips or cotton balls soaked in oil of mint, cedar or lavender among your clothes. The moths will hate it and your (nice clean ) clothes will smell fabulous. None of these will kill an infestation but will repel adult moths so they won't lay eggs in your closet.

BTW, clothes moths and pantry moths are not the same animal. make sure which one you have. Any way you slice it, keeping your clothes, closets and drawers clean and not storing dirty clothes is a good idea whether you have moths or not.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 2:11 pm
I had a bat flutter around my head ... but I was in the country ...

louche

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 2:25 pm
Now a bat would freak me out, even though they eat either fruit or mosquitoes and other buggy pests and so are actually our friends. Some friends I prefer to keep at something of a distance.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 3:06 pm
my fear has always been that they get stuck in my hair ... and believe me - it would get lost my hair is that thick ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry