Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Knitting or crocheting?

Blue jay

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 5:26 pm
I just started to learn how to knit and it is a very very slow go.... By the time I finish my 3 year olds hat she can wear it on her wedding day!

IM constantly messing up the stitches ( adding on by accident orsplitting the yarn)

I find crocheting to be faster and more forgiving, any knitters out there with the same experience? or advice please!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 5:45 pm
I find crocheting easier in general. I never finished any of my knitting projects, but I've finished crochet projects. it's quicker, a bit more interesting, and I find crocheting to allow for prettier patterns. and it's more portable. there's also the fact that knitting needles are far more dangerous than crochet hooks (especially if your crochet hook is plastic). for me, crocheting is relaxing, and knitting is a pain.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 5:47 pm
Can't help you much, but I just started to crochet so I can teach my kids how to.
It is so much fun and easy.
Also since my kids are lefties and I am a righty, I found some online videos that teach lefty crocheting.

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 5:47 pm
I learned to knit last year, but never tried crocheting. I think all beginners have a problems at first, but like everything else, perfection comes with practice and experience.

tzatza

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 5:48 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I find crocheting easier in general. I never finished any of my knitting projects, but I've finished crochet projects. it's quicker, a bit more interesting, and I find crocheting to allow for prettier patterns. and it's more portable. there's also the fact that knitting needles are far more dangerous than crochet hooks (especially if your crochet hook is plastic). for me, crocheting is relaxing, and knitting is a pain.

Agree. However, I started off knitting, not crocheting, when I was 10 years old. I taught myself crocheting just a year ago. I actually found youtube to be a great source of visual lessons, and lionbrand.com website - a great srouce of free patterns.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 5:50 pm
yes, I started off knitting at about 7? 8? and crocheting shortly thereafter. though I didn't make a complete project until mid high school. I've never looked at youtube for this, but I find if you buy a good crochet book with patterns there are usually nice illustrations explaining the various stitches. you can also google the name of the stitch if you need help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics