Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rice & mushroom- does it freeze well?

ROCHELLE

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 10:32 am
I want to make Rice & mushroom for succos, does anybody know if it freezes well and for how long it can be kept frozen? like, will it still be good for the second days yom tov?

tanachit

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 10:57 am
In my experience, neither rice nor mushrooms freeze well, unless the mushrooms have been made into soup. Do not freeze rice. It gets mealy, and gross.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 10:59 am
tanachit wrote:
In my experience, neither rice nor mushrooms freeze well, unless the mushrooms have been made into soup. Do not freeze rice. It gets mealy, and gross.

Agreed.
I would probably freeze a mushroom sauce in advance, and make a simple pot of rice right before YT to go along with it.

anonymom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 6:10 pm
In my experience it freezes fine. When I reheat it, I add some water so it stays moist (a few tablespoons) and cover tightly, and reheat in a low oven.

scb88

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 6:31 pm
Freezes well! I've got two meals worth of rice in my freezer now.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 6:36 pm
What brand and grain do you ladies use, that your rice freezes well?
Is it mushy once defrosted? What is the texture like before you freeze it? Do the grains come out separate once cooked, or does the dish come out like a starchy mush type of consistancy?

anonymom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 8:49 pm
I use Uncle Bens Converted Brand Original that cooks for 15 min. I used to use the store brand of long grain white rice that comes in bags in the supermarket. Never mushy. Never grainy. Never burned. Bli ayin hara. I do not use a rice cooker. Just a regular pot.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 8:50 pm
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll get up the nerve to try it.
How do you defrost and reheat? Any tips?

anonymom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 8:51 pm
Oh. You're supposed to cook with a little oil so it doesn't stick. I have also heard of using lemon juice for this purpose, but never proved it works.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 3:36 am
I've frozen various rice dishes for the last 10 years without any problems. I think the trick is to heat it through either in microwave or in an oven (or a skillet) so that the grains get moist/puff up instead of hard/soggy. Cooking with a bit of oil helps but not necessary--plain boiled rice freezes fine as well.

I use either a rice cooker or a regular pot. I do not boil rice--rice can get retain too much water and ends up mushy that way. Instead, add just enough liquid all to be abosrbed (as in risotto) so that it doesn't need draining.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 2:13 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I do not boil rice--rice can get retain too much water and ends up mushy that way. Instead, add just enough liquid all to be abosrbed (as in risotto) so that it doesn't need draining.

How do you do this Mrs Bissli? I always wanted to learn a way to cook rice without the messy boil.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 2:40 pm
There are a couple of tricks to get it right which don't take much effort at all, IMHO. First wash/rinse off excess starch and soak the rice in cold water for 20-30min. Basic rule of thumb is to use 1.5cup PLUS 1 tbsp of water to 1cup rice. Also using a solid pot with a tight-fitting lid (so that the vapor doesn't escape) and a thick bottom (so that heat conducts evenly) helps a lot. Once the content in the pot boils, put the lid on and lower the heat to the lowest. After it finished cooking, let it steam with the lid on for another 5min or so before fluffing the rice.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 3:56 pm
thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes