Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help! Yellow Stains on Stored Clothing

chayamusia

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 7:48 pm
I save most of my kids' outgrown and out-of-season clothes in diaper boxes. When opening boxes, I noticed light yellow stains on clothing that was completely clean before. Anyone have an idea where those come from? I thought storing in plastic bins would maybe be better, but a friend told me that the stains are actually from humidity (I.e. mold) and that cardboard boxes are better cuz they allow air to circulate and prevent a buildup of humidity. Any ideas?

bubby

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 7:50 pm
Something to do with oxidization, I think. But whatever the cause, the bad news is they don't come out. Sorry.

gryp

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:40 pm
It happened to all the onesies I saved. Another reason why I don't buy white kids clothing. Someone on here once mentioned how to get it out and I tried, but it didn't work.

girliemom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:49 pm
I always have that with stored clothing no matter how clean I pack them away they always get these yellow stains. I use shaklee nature bright directly on the stain and let it stand for a couple of hours and it has always come off.

louche

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 9:30 pm
These stains are places where there used to be a stain that was bleached, or something spilled that didn't stain immediately but over time oxidized and became visible. If you can bleach the fabric, do so, and that should remove the stains. Use oxygen bleach if the fabric can't take chlorine bleach. This will happen every time you put the clothing away for a long time. It's similar to the way you make "invisible writing" using lemon juice on paper, and then "develop" the writing by heating it over a candle or light bulb. The stain "develops" over time thanks to warmth and exposure to air.

mommalah

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 9:52 pm
So how should one properly store clothing?

avimom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 10:24 pm
I've soaked them in oxiclean and they come out. The shaklee nature bright is also supposed to work wonders. I store in plastic containers and I don't find new stains- just old ones that had already been taken out and then show up again after storage.

Marigold

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 12:18 am
hi,
I am kind of a clean freak, especially were clothing is concerned. first of all let me tell you, making a paste of shaklee nature bright ( boiling water with recommended amt on the pkg) and let it soak does wonder. I have white onsies, they are years old and nearly everything comes out. always. no need to throw anything away.
In regard to storing, having tried almost everything I heard that you can get from the linen store such clear bags that the pillows and quilts come in with zippers to close 'em up, and that is the best way to store it. I never used it since I don't like when you see everything thats in it as I keep it in my closet. No storage space for me.
hope this helps.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 18 2009, 5:11 am
In australia we soak in napisan and it comes out mostly, unless it was very yellow....

hinda

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 11:49 pm
Where can I buy shaklee's nature bright if I live way OOT?

Marigold

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 11:31 am
im sure you can find it on their website shaklee.com.

Inspired

Post Sat, Aug 08 2009, 3:00 pm
I just got out bunches of yellow stains from stored baby clothes by spraying with oxy spray (if you are Israeli, the green bottle pf "oxygen" stain spray), washing on hot with detergent. and then hanging in the sun for 2 days.

Simcha100

Post Sat, Aug 08 2009, 5:03 pm
Inspired wrote:
I just got out bunches of yellow stains from stored baby clothes by spraying with oxy spray (if you are Israeli, the green bottle pf "oxygen" stain spray), washing on hot with detergent. and then hanging in the sun for 2 days.

Was this whites or colors? If it was colored clothing- isn't that an issue to was in hot water and the sun fades the colors a lot of times

Inspired

Post Sat, Aug 08 2009, 5:06 pm
Both whites and colors. Nothing faded. Smile

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 08 2009, 10:39 pm
hinda wrote:
Where can I buy shaklee's nature bright if I live way OOT?

Shaklee products are sold by at home agents, the same way Tupperware products are.
If you cannot find Shaklee Nature Bright; use Biz, Oxy Clean, or other such oxygenated pretreating detergent powders. Use boiling hot water to make the solution, and allow the clothes to sit and soak for a couple of days.

Butterfly

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 9:06 am
Spray with shout or oxy spray. let it set for 2-3 hours, then soak in machine with yellow out and detergent for another 2-3 hours. Always worked for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics