Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Recipe for Chap-a-Nosh potato kugel anyone?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 12 2009, 8:36 pm
Ima'la wrote:
Thanks for the recipe, ra_mom! Any idea approx. how many med. potatoes 5 lbs. comes out to? I usually use about 6 potatoes (half a 9x13 pan).

So, maybe I'll try with more egg, oil and flour (I do use some flour already - I use the Lub. cookbook recipe - but I leave out the baking powder and haven't noticed a difference). Citric acid - that's interesting - I think that's pretty easy to get around here - people also use it for laundry and all kinds of intersting things. Maybe I'll try it.

Btw, is it important to rinse the potatoes in a collander after they're grated? I don't usually bother - I just make sure to make the kugel quickly before they start turning black.

And what temp. is best for baking - high or low? I usually do it at 350. (I'm not interested in doing it overnight.)

5 lbs. definately more than 6 medium potatoes. This kugel is very dense. Then again, I believe that this recipe is for a 9x13 pan.
Is there any way for you to measure out 5 lbs. on a store scale when you are buying the potatoes?
About rinsing the potatoes, I believe that for some recipes, rinsing the potatoes in a colander after they are grated, would actually take away from the kugel, and make it less starchy. It really depends on what type of consistancy you like.

Ima'la

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 3:35 am
My recipe calls for 12 for a 9x13, but I think 5 lbs is even more than that. I'll have to play around with all the tips here!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 9:53 am
I would drain the potatoes a little but not thoroughly.

I just made a kugel using a liquid egg replacement. Can't remember the brand but though it was very low fat the liquid was yellow, so I added some more oil. The kugel came out great, firm even without a binder, not dry. I would bet that mass produced kugels don't use regular eggs.

And don't skimp on the onions.

brooklyn

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 1:15 pm
Hubby used to work in Chap a Nosh and got the recipe from the guy who made it. It is the simplest recipe that's prob why its so good. Potatoes, eggs, oil, salt and pepper that's it.

Ima'la

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 1:10 am
I guess you're not allowed to post the recipe?

So, no flour in the CaN PK?

Thanks!

Ima'la

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 4:28 am
Forgot to post...when I made potato kugel again, DH said, "This doesn't taste like your regular potato kugel...It tastes kind of like Chap-a-Nosh potato kugel."

The best compliment, especially b/c he didn't even know that was my goal!

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Here's what I put in:
6 med. potatoes
2 med. onions
3 large eggs
generous amount of oil - I didn't measure, but maybe 1/3 c.?
2 tsp. salt
1/8-1/4 tsp. pepper

I can't remember if I put in 1/3 c. (white!) flour or left it out.

Baked at 350 until golden brown on top.

tzipp

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 9:27 am
Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes