Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Deep cleaning

amother

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 12:20 am
I know this sounds bad, but I always here people talk about deep cleaning a rooms, and I am embarrassed to say- I don't know how! They talk about dusting, doing the windows, etc... and I have no clue what to do! I know how to "surface clean"- meaning, sweep, vacuum, put things away, etc. Can someone please teach me how to really clean????

Grandmama

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 12:26 am
amother wrote:
I know this sounds bad, but I always here people talk about deep cleaning a rooms, and I am embarrassed to say- I don't know how! They talk about dusting, doing the windows, etc... and I have no clue what to do! I know how to "surface clean"- meaning, sweep, vacuum, put things away, etc. Can someone please teach me how to really clean????

Firstly, it means taking everything out of closets and drawers, giving away or throwing away things that are broken, unused, or no longer needed. Then of course, they dust, sweep vacuum and move everything to clean underneath, and in all the high places. Cleaning the light fixtures, the tops of doors and doorways, the woodwork, washing the walls if needed, and just covering every surface and inch of the room. Some clean the bottoms of all their shoes, make sure everything is hanging in the closet facing the same way, with the same hangers. Basically its spring cleaning that is the thorough kind of cleaning to do a few times a year.
Try reading a book like "clutters last stand" for humorous help to get you to a cleaner, clutter free home.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 12:42 am
op here-
sorry to sound totally stupid, but what I really need to know is HOW to do that. how do I clean the light fixtures, the walls, the windows, etc. what cleaning supplies to I need? how do I do it?

SingALong

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 1:49 am
I never heard of this in my life, and I think I have a pretty clean and organized home...

Zus

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 6:26 am
Just a gentle all-purpose cleaner either in spray form or diluted in water and a cleaning rag will do the job. Usually the dirt in such places is nothing more than stacked dust, which doesn't need harsh cleaning materials.

pinktichel

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 8:05 am
amother wrote:
op here-
sorry to sound totally stupid, but what I really need to know is HOW to do that. how do I clean the light fixtures, the walls, the windows, etc. what cleaning supplies to I need? how do I do it?

like Zus said, an all purpose cleaner is great to wash down window ledges, tops of surfaces, doors, etc. However, for glass/windows, it is best to purchase a specific glass cleaner otherwise you end up with streaked mirrors and windows.

Tackle one room at a time. Start by putting everything away and making beds. If necessary, follow Grandmama's directions on sorting through things. Next, take your glass cleaner and spray windows. Using paper towel (I don't like rags), clean in one direction only... either from up to down, or right to left. Next, move to window ledges, radiators, surfaces, floor boards, door ways, doors, etc. NOTE: if cleaning a dusty ceiling fan, do that first!! Otherwise, the dust goes everywhere and you have to re clean.

The last thing you do in each room should be vacuuming.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 10:24 am
We bought a steam cleaner for really deep cleaning. It gets the grout between the tiles, soap scum, black caked on shmutz, grease in the kitchen... the stuff you may find when you move into a rental. As we did.
The steamer was a life saver for us. And the best thing is that it works with just water: no chemical cleaners needed!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 11:52 am
start with a pail of warm water and add in your favorite all purpose cleaner. That is usually safe on everything, some even say wood furniture.

Use a clean cloth for wiping, and a dishes sponge for scrubbing. Move away furniture and start with the walls. Scrub visible grime areas, then wipe down with the cloth. Make sure you do the bottom of the wall, the moldings. Then, go for the windows. Open the window, move it out of the frame if you can, or work around it. Scrub every part of the frame, wipe down with the cloth. Spray the glass and wipe with a dry cloth.

This is enough for one day! Let me know if you need more!

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 12:05 pm
One thing that took me years to learn was: always work from the top down.
Meaning, clean walls and ceiling fans before counters and tables, clean counters and tables and bookshelves before floors. Dirt falls down, not up.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 12:06 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Then, go for the windows. Open the window, move it out of the frame if you can, or work around it. Scrub every part of the frame, wipe down with the cloth. Spray the glass and wipe with a dry cloth.
!
Clean the screens, if you have them! You can vaccuum some of the shmutz off, use a hose on the outside or whatever. In Israel we have removable screens for just this purpose. With regards to the glass: newspapers work best for wiping the sprayed windows dry. They don't leave lint or marks!

Zus

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 12:36 pm
In my experience, microfiber cloth works absolutely BEST on windows. On most things in fact. I'm able to completely clean my stovetop with just a microfiber rag and some soapy water from dish soap!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 12:39 pm
p.s. I clean window panes and mirrors with water only... windex is not a necessity.

SavtaHelen

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 3:11 pm
google "vinegar" and see all the many and varied things that it clean! It is really amazing, cheap and versitile.

And take preventative measures...line the tops of kitchen cabinets with old newspapers or plastic tableclothes, then you toss and change instead of scrubbing the grease off!

louche

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 12:51 pm
Grandmama wrote:

Try reading a book like "clutters last stand" for humorous help to get you to a cleaner, clutter free home.

I love that book and all the others by the same author! I reread one or another of them every few years just to get a good laugh. The whole book could be condensed into a single chapter, but it wouldn't be be nearly as much fun.

louche

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 12:56 pm
OP and everyone else: if you learn nothing else today, please take this to heart: when cleaning anything electrical, use DRY materials. If you MUST damp-clean, use nothing wetter than spit on a tissue, and disconnect the electricity AT THE SOURCE. IOW flip the circuitbbreaker or remove the fuse. Just switching off the light switch is NOT enough. Also, never, ever, damp-clean a hot lightbulb, not even with spit on a tissue. Wait for the bulb to cool, unless you don't mind being showered with shattered glass as the bulb explodes the moment the moisture touches its hot surface.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics