Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What's the deal with dinosaurs?
Previous  1  2

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 9:25 pm
punktfarkert wrote:
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Be careful before you call something apikorsus.

You have a point.

AlwaysGrateful wrote:
There are truly valid opinions out there that before the sun was created, a "day" wasn't what we think of as a day. After all, how is a day measured? By the revolution of the earth around the sun. So before there was a sun...?

No one argues about the length of a day now, and yes, that is how WE measure a day. G-d put that system into place for our benefit, and the Torah was given to us in language that we can understand in order to serve as an interface between the mortal and the Divine. A day = a day = a day.

I'm scratching my head trying to understand your logic and your words. Sounds nice, but is fluff. I can only think of a few instances where rashi will come and say dibra torah b'lashon bnei adam or something like that. Rashi does not say that the whole torah is written like that.The way I learned torah was given as pardes- pshat, remez, drash, and sod. Things can definitely be understood and learned on a deeper level.

punktfarkert

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 9:50 pm
octopus wrote:
punktfarkert wrote:
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Be careful before you call something apikorsus.

You have a point.

AlwaysGrateful wrote:
There are truly valid opinions out there that before the sun was created, a "day" wasn't what we think of as a day. After all, how is a day measured? By the revolution of the earth around the sun. So before there was a sun...?

No one argues about the length of a day now, and yes, that is how WE measure a day. G-d put that system into place for our benefit, and the Torah was given to us in language that we can understand in order to serve as an interface between the mortal and the Divine. A day = a day = a day.

I'm scratching my head trying to understand your logic and your words. Sounds nice, but is fluff. I can only think of a few instances where rashi will come and say dibra torah b'lashon bnei adam or something like that. Rashi does not say that the whole torah is written like that.The way I learned torah was given as pardes- pshat, remez, drash, and sod. Things can definitely be understood and learned on a deeper level.

Of course. But you can't contradict the pshat.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics