Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Rules for submitting an article- a question

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 3:20 pm
I got this as part of a response to an article I submitted. Can you explain to me what the bolded means?
"All articles submitted to X must be original and unpublished and not circulating with any other publication."
Does that mean that they don't want your articles being submitted to multiple places at once? If so, what do they expect? You should send in one article to one place, wait a few weeks until they get back to you with a response, and only then if they say no submit it to another place? Or am I misunderstanding that rule?

merelyme

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 3:29 pm
Seraph wrote:
Does that mean that they don't want your articles being submitted to multiple places at once? If so, what do they expect? You should send in one article to one place, wait a few weeks until they get back to you with a response, and only then if they say no submit it to another place?

That is exactly what they expect.

Seraph

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 3:44 pm
merelyme wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Does that mean that they don't want your articles being submitted to multiple places at once? If so, what do they expect? You should send in one article to one place, wait a few weeks until they get back to you with a response, and only then if they say no submit it to another place?

That is exactly what they expect.
So feasibly, you might have to wait a few months to get an article accepted because you send to one place, wait for them to reject you or accept you, send to another place, wait for a response, send to another place, etc... and by the time the fourth place accepts you, 3 months have passed?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 3:53 pm
yes. freelancing is not lucrative. the frum magazines really throw you around like that. you got it.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 5:08 pm
Sorry, Seraph. That's the truth...Write a few articles at once, and rotate them as you get rejections. That's the only advice I've got.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 7:03 pm
seraph, I wrote an article last year in chesvan. submitted to binah. no response for a month. finally I emailed them. they had never gotten the article. emailed it again. they asked me to give them a few weeks. weeks pass.no response. finally SEVEN MONTHS AFTER I SUBMITTED IT, they rejected it. a month later, they let me know they will be publishing it. when? they dont know. these places are just total chaos.

Submitted a piece for mishpacha in september. got enthusiastic email. we love it! let's see if it has room inthe succos issue. I didnt hear from them since.

nachas magazine asked me to write a piece for them for their succos issue. I'm still witing for their succos issue to come out.

the only magazine that works more reliably is horizons.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 8:07 pm
Mama Bear - Do any of these places pay?

merelyme

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 8:29 pm
They all pay, but not very well. It's nice pocket money but I doubt you could live off what you'd make.
It used to be (and might still be - I'm not up-to-date on this) that Horizons paid for one-time use of the article, after which it belonged to the author. The other places buy all rights to the article forever.

pm me if you have a submission for a frum kids or teen magazine or if you'd like more info.

Shoko

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 5:02 pm
I'm not familiar with the particular journals, but I thought that request referred to once the article was accepted for publication. Until then, you can send it around at other places, and either take the first one that offers to publish, or hold out until you get the one you want. Once it has been accepted for publication, then you can't circulate it anywhere else and you can't publish the same article in two journals. Has anyone else heard this?

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 5:38 pm
Seraph, you understood correctly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics