Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Can you "become" Chabad?
Previous  1  2

bubby

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 4:02 pm
OP, we went from heavy-duty "misnagdishe" background to Chabad. Didn't miss a beat, we took to it like a duck to water. One thing I can tell you...the Rebbe loved every Jew & was tolerant of everyone's ways.

"Becoming Chabad" is exactly what we did. Like you, we were drawn to the philosophy, the Ahavas Yisrael & the tolerance & acceptance. I found so much disdain & loathing towards Chabad amongst my circle it was very easy to drift away from them. I have no regrets...far from it!

No matter who or what you are, the way you dress, the foods you eat, & the language you speak, you are always welcome in Chabad. Everyone is.

entropy

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 4:08 pm
OP, I actually think you would be betraying your MO heritage much more than your Sephardi heritage. Sephardim often feel at home with Chassidus due to similar approach to mysticism and to the mindset of cleaving to a Rebbe.

Last edited by entropy on Wed, Oct 28 2009, 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

chavs

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 4:38 pm
Why dont you go to some shiurim held by your local shaliach or other chabad centre/shul or whatever you have where you are.
You can get some books on chassidus, for example a book with commentary on the parsha.

I think that its important like others have said that you dont jump into anything when your dh isnt interested. Your sholom bayis shouldnt be jeopardized because you want to live like a Lubavitcher. Otoh you can learn chassidus and become close to chabad by going to shiurim and/or events held by lubavitch, and this should not impact on your sholom bayis I hope.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 5:09 pm
in my community growing up, very few of my classmates (I don't think a singles one!) were from chabad families. All had parents who were BTs or from non chabad backgrounds. (And I've loads of beautiful sefardi/chabad neices and nephews)

But shalom Bayis is very important. So don't do things that your dh is not happy with.

And since so many chabadniks are from varied backgrounds, shidduchim shouldn't be a problem.

(Geza is the word for people whose families are chabad all the way back)

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 5:19 pm
A chassid is characterized by his/her kesher to his/her Rebbe.

The ultimate way to do this, according to Chabad Chassidus, is by learning the Torah of the Rebbeim.

IMHO this can be learned and much truly internalized (for the Frierdiker Rebbe writes that truly learning Chassidus should not just be a mental exercise but a development and refinement of character via the mental exercise) by learning these teachings which do not require changing minhagim/levush, etc. (especially as you write that DH is not so interested in that).

Chabad Chassidus might impact levush universally when the ideas of keeping hilchos tznius properly, behavig in a refined and eidel way, etc. are internalized, and this is possible in many paths. This transcends sheitel, kapota, and what denier tights you are wearing.

Many times the Rebbe himself made it clear to have your rav and consult him in halachah, to keep established minhagim, etc. The Rebbe was NOT a rav by his chosing, not because he didn't have the ability, cv"s.

If you are confident you are keeping the halachas/minhagim of your rabbonim correctly, please keep that in perspective. The REbbe may not want you to be changing such things, shalom bayis problems, etc. , and again, there's much of Chabad Chassidus that is more universal than what kind of kippah a man wears.

That's MHO.

mimivan

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 5:49 pm
another case in point...the dean of the local Chabad women's BT seminary has long peyos and wears a streimel on Shabbos...I don't remember which chassidus he hails from...but the Rebbe told him to keep his levush and many of his minhagim and still he is a dean of a women's Chabad seminary...

amother

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 8:03 pm
I went to a definitely Litvish type sem, and had a good friend who was a BT through Chabad. After a year in an intensely Chabad sem she was davka directed to our sem because her mashpiim felt she should have a broader understanding of the authentic Jewish world before settling down with Chabad. So I can definitely believe the recent previous posts.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 10:59 pm
OP, here. Thanks all of you.

I learned a great deal. And it sounds like for me, I should keep learning, keep adding the things that my family is comfortable with, and not worry if we'll be "officially" Chabad one day.

bubby

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 11:02 pm
Exactly!! Very Happy

chavs

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 11:12 am
good luck :-)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 5:08 pm
Just wanted to add, that if you go to shiurim, etc. you will probably be invited for Shabbos to some of the Chabad families. This way, you husband will be able to see first hand part of the beauty of Chabad and perhaps will be more inclined to go to Chabad shiurim,etc. himself. He may or may not decide that becoming Chabad is the way to go, but could become more open to the concept.

anewday

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 8:34 pm
I really enjoyed reading this post, thanks OP and to all the responders!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions