Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Putting on Right shoe instead of left shoe first...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 11:14 am
Is there a proper way to put on your socks/shoes? I find myself obsessing about putting on my kids' right shoes before their left but have no idea why, or if that's even correct. I vaguely remember learning it somewhere, maybe my mother taught me. Is there a real source for it?

GetReal

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 12:12 pm
Isn't it in shluchan aruch? You always put on right side before left side. Shoes, socks, cloths, etc. Take off left before right. Tie left shoe first b/c tefillin are tied on the left hand.

Not sure about a leftie though.

GetReal

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 12:16 pm
Found this: (I don't have time now to look up the references in the regular shulchan aruch, maybe later.)

We find in Leviticus in a number of verses the Torah gives preference to the right side of the body. We find similar preference in the laws dealing with the laws of Chalitzah. Therefore it is proper that the right side of the body be given honor and preferential treatment.

• Thus, when one gets dressed one puts on the right sleeve first. Similarly, one puts on his right sock and the right foot is put in his pants first. Likewise the right shoe should be put on first. Additionally when one is washing, soaping, putting on lotions, etc. to both hands, preference is given to the right side. However, when we remove our shirts, shoes, socks, etc. one should remove the left first (since by doing so, he honors the right) (Alter Rebbe's Sulchan Aruch, O.C. 2:4,6, Be'er Moshe 2:3.)

However, when it comes to tying, the left is given preference. The reason being that, we find in the torah the idea of tying in relation to Tefillin. Since the Tefillin is bound on the left hand, one should tie knots and bows on the left side of the body first. Therefore, the shoelaces on the left shoe should be tied first. Thus, one puts on his right shoe first (without tying them), then the left shoe, ties the left shoe and then the right shoe (Alter Rebbe's Shulchan Aruch O.C. 2:4)

According to Rabbi Shlomo Zalmen Auerbach, since women do not wear Tefillin, they should always tie their right shoe, etc. first (Halichos Shlomo 2:20.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions