Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby jar food

SunLover

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 4:51 pm
when do you stop feeding the baby jarred veggies and fruits?

louche

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:28 pm
when you decide it's not worth the money and he's able to handle regular food. Don't waste your money on the "stages" foods which are pureed with chunks of various sizes. If he can handle the chunks, he can handle regular food cut into little pieces. He obviously has to have enough teeth to work on chunky food.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:29 pm
as soon as they can handle table food.

SunLover

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:31 pm
but what do you give them?? if I dont give the veggie ones for example... what do u give to subsitute?

Tova

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:33 pm
[Teeth may not have all that to do with it...my 11 month old has but one tooth on the bottom and eats full meals of real table food - chicken, ground meat, challah, pizza, etc. and loves it.]

NativeMom

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:38 pm
just cut up what your serving into little pieces, a size your baby can handle. Cook the veggies, like carrots, zuchinni, sweet potatoes, potatoes.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:44 pm
Right, just cut up some of the food that you yourself are eating into tiny pieces, and have him eat along with you.
About the vegetables: if you don't eat any cooked veggies yourself, then it's a good idea to start making veggie soups for him.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:47 pm
Yes, I used to do that all the time. I make this vegetable barley soup that DS loved and he always ate veggies and matzo balls from chicken soup.

momomany

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:48 pm
my babies loved soft avocado cut into little bits, also carrots & squash from the soup - peaches & banana cut up really small were good too, but beware-banana stains last forever!

how could I forget cheerios! also the beechnut or gerber cereal type finger foods that come in canisters were neat & easy.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 8:54 pm
chicken soup turkey/veggies/broth, scrambled egg, avocado & egg, slivers of chicken/meat, cereal with pumped milk, oatmeal with pumped milk, applesauce (real people, unsweetened), rice, bread, cereal, cut up fruit/or pieces in mesh bag, cottage cheese pancakes, yogurt (anything with dairy or egg or meat should wait until your ped's ok. probably around 9-10 months)

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 10:17 pm
On Shabbos, when you are relaxed, see what the baby will enjoy from the Shabbos meal. In the beginning, mash the soup veggies, mash the cholent beans... but slowly mash it less and less. My baby ate a banana today in the park! She was in the swing, and I kept holding out the banana to her mouth and she took bites until she finished! She has only 2 teeth yet she managed!

chaylizi

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 10:25 pm
oh and my baby has a cholent fixation. his face lights up when the bowls come out.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 10:55 pm
Maybe a year, until it stops being inconvenient for you and you kid get nutrition from regular food.

pina colada

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 10:58 pm
when baby can handle foods that are not pureed, but have more texture.

bnm

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 11:03 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
On Shabbos, when you are relaxed, see what the baby will enjoy from the Shabbos meal. In the beginning, mash the soup veggies, mash the cholent beans... but slowly mash it less and less. My baby ate a banana today in the park! She was in the swing, and I kept holding out the banana to her mouth and she took bites until she finished! She has only 2 teeth yet she managed!

my baby preferred fresh banana to jarred since she is 7 months... she only got her teeth at 10 months.

bnm

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 11:04 pm
chaylizi wrote:
oh and my baby has a cholent fixation. his face lights up when the bowls come out.

my daughter LOVES potato kugel and chulent beans...... in the summer 1 friday before I did my shabbos shopping I stopped in meal mart and we polished off 3 peices of kugel between the 2 of us!

newlymarried

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 11:11 pm
My baby is eleven months, and she spits out baby food, except if I mix a fruit jar with yogurt. I wish she would eat the jars, they are much more convenient when we are out.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 5:41 pm
SunLover wrote:
when do you stop feeding the baby jarred veggies and fruits?

I never start. Smile

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 8:19 pm
I also never did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics