Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going to nursing school while managing family
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 4:27 am
I have a burning desire to go to nursing school. I already have a BA in another major so, I have a couple of credits I can transfer. The real fear is that I hear it takes a lot of hard work and study time. I have 3 small children under the age of 5 and one on the way. The semester will start when the newborn BH, will be a little over 3 months old. It kind of sounds like a lot to manage, should I wait till the semester after when the baby is say maybe 9 months old, or should I just wait longer. I really want to start doing something now as I dream of becoming a nurse. What do you think?

jasmine

Post Sat, Nov 07 2009, 11:58 pm
been there done that.........had my BA and MA in Art and Design; after I was married and my kids were school age I went back to school in nursing..........did it very very slowly, one course at a time....anything more you are setting yourself up for failure...and I had only two kids age 7 and 9.............you have a handful....
you can start out slowly...start taking one course at a time...most likely you will need some prerequistes...chemistry, anatomy, pathophysiology, micro, psych, etc. take chem one semester, then micro the next, pace yourself; once all your pre-reqs are out of the way, and your kids are older then think about starting the core nursing program.......otherwise unless you are on amphetimines 24/7, you will become a shmatta and be good for no one, yourself, your husband, family, and potential patients and very very soon burn out will be right around the corner.....trust me....you are young, and you will get there--following the little yellow brick road to your own personal land of oz, will begin with one step at a time.....................good luck

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Nov 08 2009, 12:11 am
I agree, one course at a time.

When I was a single parent, I took one to two courses at a time.

Take it slowly and see what you can manage, if there are online courses and you can handle being independent try it.

hatzlocha, I just got accepted it's not going to be easy.

Believe me I am trying to balance the 7 am classes and getting the kids to school on time (which tends to be at 8:15!!)

Unique

Post Sun, Nov 08 2009, 9:29 am
It's very hard - lot's of juggling - but if you want to do it - do it now rather than pushing it off - it just gets harder by pushing it off - life gets more complicated. I would say don't go for an accel. BA - it would be way to difficult. Maybe do an associates - two years so it can get you into the workforce faster. Take the sciences in a community college and then go into the nursing school. Don't overload the courses - it's not worth failing. Good Luck!

jeliela

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 4:45 am
Has anyone attended the nursing program at Kingsborough in Brooklyn, is it any good?

Unique

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 2:26 pm
Although it's only an associates, it is supposed to be an excellent program - very competative to get into. The students come out really knowing their stuff (from what I hear).

jeliela

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 8:04 am
When you mean competitive to get into, does it mean I have to pass certain exams, or pass certain requirements?

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 4:37 pm
yes you have to pass courses, and tests to get in.

Some places there is a wait list, so as long as you have above a 2.5 or something like that your on the wait list. But for more competitive nursing schools you need a 3.5 at-least to be considered, I.e. UCLA. Private colleges tend to not have wait lists, but they are triple cost.

but either way you have to either take the TEAS exam or the PAX-NLN exam, both of these are pre nursing exams and filled with math, science, english, etc.

hatzlocha!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 7:46 pm
I agree with the above posters that you don't want to overload yourself. However take as many courses as you can handle without risking bad grades. It is very hard to et back into school mode once you have been out q while. Keeping your hand in the game will help you keep your dream alive.

Make sure you have good childcare set in place before you start. Having someone there for emergenc situations really helps.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 7:55 pm
there is a prenursing exam? glad I missed that one. I guess I don't have great advice. I went to nursing school 1.5 years out of sem & skipped one semester because I had a baby. It's hard with kids & only had one (for just one semester). just try not to burn yourself out. hatzlacha!

Unique

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 8:39 pm
By competative I meant, that since it's cuny tuition and considered a very good program, there are tons of applicants for a limited number of spots. So you can only get in (although 1 or two students may be an exception) by 1st being approved to their pre-nursing 1st and then apply to the nursing program. (My memory may be a little off about this - it was 3 years ago when I was looking into it there)

amother

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 10:56 pm
I'm in my first semester of nursing school. I have a new baby and 4 older kids. I'm taking it slow, and I took many of the pre-reqs before. See what pre-reqs you can do online.

Nursing (breastfeeding) my baby has suffered. Partly because of not being home, and partly for unrelated reasons. Funny someone mentioned amphetamines. I was on adderall, and can't wait to go back on as soon as I'm not nursing my baby anymore. They sure would help!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 7:11 am
amother wrote:
I'm in my first semester of nursing school. I have a new baby and 4 older kids. I'm taking it slow, and I took many of the pre-reqs before. See what pre-reqs you can do online.

Nursing (breastfeeding) my baby has suffered. Partly because of not being home, and partly for unrelated reasons. Funny someone mentioned amphetamines. I was on adderall, and can't wait to go back on as soon as I'm not nursing my baby anymore. They sure would help!

When you say "taking it slow", how many classes per semester does that mean. And does anyone know if scholarships apply for part-time students? I plan on applying for scholarships also.

As for adderall, do you need a prescription and is it addictive? Already for a long time I've always felt like I am in slow motion when there is so much that needs to be done. I dont mean that I want to be superwoman or anything, I just always feel lethargic, and as a result get less things done than most people. I also have always had low blood pressure.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 9:48 pm
why would you take a medication for ADHD, it's crazy to take a medication just to make it through something.

Especially by becoming a nurse, you should know that medication is not something to be tinkered with.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:49 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
why would you take a medication for ADHD, it's crazy to take a medication just to make it through something.

Especially by becoming a nurse, you should know that medication is not something to be tinkered with.

Op here, Yes, I did the research, this adderall thing is addictive and I wont be messing with it, I will just continue to be taking my daily vits & minerals.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:58 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:

'

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions! I'm the nursing student who wants adderall, because I have adhd. I have taken adderall under a doctor's care.

I've breastfed my 4 older kids for 2 years each. You can't take adderall when breastfeeding. No one's "tinkering".

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 3:52 pm
As long as you are under a physicians care for the Adderall, it makes me so nervous when people just take a medication.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:

also you never stated that you had ADHD

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 4:50 pm
I went to nursing school while pregnant with my 5th (oldest was 6) and completed it while she was an infant (went back to school when she was 1 mos old). I found at least where I live, with the exception of 1 teacher - who actually apologized to me later after I pulled an A in her course - that they were very understanding of pumping and having a newborn. I did not take the "slow and steady route". I blitz through taking 18 - 20 hours a semester and finishing quickly. It did help that I had most of my non-nursing credits from earlier BA work. I got a baby sitter and took most of my classes or clinicals a few days a week. I found it much easier to do with younger children b/c they GO TO BED AT NIGHT. I would put my kids to bed at 7 PM and had the entire evening to study. At this point, I have no idea how I would go back to school. My kids are up and needing help with homework, activities or just needing "mommy time" until all hours.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 2:24 am
chavamom wrote:
I went to nursing school while pregnant with my 5th (oldest was 6) and completed it while she was an infant (went back to school when she was 1 mos old). I found at least where I live, with the exception of 1 teacher - who actually apologized to me later after I pulled an A in her course - that they were very understanding of pumping and having a newborn. I did not take the "slow and steady route". I blitz through taking 18 - 20 hours a semester and finishing quickly. It did help that I had most of my non-nursing credits from earlier BA work. I got a baby sitter and took most of my classes or clinicals a few days a week. I found it much easier to do with younger children b/c they GO TO BED AT NIGHT. I would put my kids to bed at 7 PM and had the entire evening to study. At this point, I have no idea how I would go back to school. My kids are up and needing help with homework, activities or just needing "mommy time" until all hours.

Wow, thats amazing, thanks so much for the confidence. It gives me strength knowing someone else did it and I'm not taking on too much. I really do want to finish it up quickly and not spread it out so long. I know everyones learning styles and ways are studying are different so everyone gets different results, it all depends on how much you put in. I havent started classes yet but your experience gives me strength being that I want to go the same route. Thank you. Hey if worse comes to worst, I will just cut my hours.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics