Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Calling all Organizers and Teachers! Help!

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 10:09 am
So, by definition, I'm pretty cluttered, but I strive to be uncluttered. So, I need help to decide what to do with the following:

I was a teacher in two separate states for several years. Over the years, I accumulated A LOT of books (novels) as I was a reading teacher, as well as accumulating a lot of curriculum that I wrote. That includes everything from worksheets, to tests, texts, including, magazines, books, newspapers articles, posters, everything.

So, everything is in boxes because I stopped working to stay home with my kids. I'm not going back just yet, and it's already been about 4 years since I taught.

So, should I keep everything? Toss everything? I don't know what to do. My inclination is to keep everything, a)because it's good stuff that can be used, b)I worked so hard on it all, c)what if I go back and need it in the future?

On the other side, will I really use it? Will it be the same curriculum/grade, etc? I really can't stand the clutter.

Help?

Temilia

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 10:15 am
I teach, but I have all my worksheets/tests/ etc saved on the comp. The only thing I have hard copy is my Chumash notes that I teach from.
I learned from my mother who taught for 35 years and kept every paper she ever did. When I first started teaching, I dug through her boxes in the basement and found amazing stuff that I still use.
A few tips that help me.
1. ORGANIZE IT-per grade, per subject etc.... AND as soon as you ever teach that subject, grade curriculm again and DON"T use what you have saved, than it's time to toss.
2. If you didn't like it-Toss it.
And how could you not keep books. Books are practically sacred in my house. That's what bookshelves are for. To store books. It's not clutter it's information. Smile

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 10:26 am
I know, books are sacred. However...sefarim - a few hundred. 3 yo books - over 100, reg. secular books, a few hundred. Schools books? Another 200-300..that's not including the reg. papers and other junk. So I have maybe 1500-2000 books. I have to get rid of some.

SingALong

Post Sun, Nov 08 2009, 7:19 pm
try to donate it to schools or yeshivas if you are looking to get rid of them. keep what's most precious to you.

I also donate my secular books to the local library when the clutter gets too much
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics