Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chocolate?

mompete

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 5:13 pm
Did anyone read the chocolate section in Rabbi Blumenkranz's book? I couldn't believe what he wrote? Can we or can we not eat chocolate brands besides for alprose, shufra and shmerling? very confused here!

chen

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:56 am
depends on your level of kashrut. if you go by r. blumenkrantz, then you must do as he says. otherwise, go by your own rov and the hechsherim you trust.

mompete

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 10:09 am
isn't Rabbi Blumenkranz pretty universal in the frum world according to Hechsherim? If not then why do we buy his book?

chen

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 12:01 pm
Not everyone buys his book. I was totally turned off when I looked at the "partial" list of places he says have to be cleaned for pesach. When I saw "mailbox" and "safe" on the list, I just figured that was going a LEETLE too far. You know anyone who stores their chocolate cake in the safe? (The recipe, maybe... LOL )

Estee2

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 12:07 pm
Quote:
Can we or can we not eat chocolate brands besides for alprose, shufra and shmerling? very confused here!

I'd be very happy going a whole year on Schmerlings and Alprose.
They are quite delicious ! YUM !! Compress

mompete

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 12:47 pm
what about pareve chocolate chips? baking chocolate? if those things are to be considered milchig or even containing non kosher milk then how can they be used? I can also live off of the shmerling etc. but for the choco chips and stuff, they don't make them.

chen

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 12:56 pm
if you MUST have chocolate morsels and won't use the commercially available ones, you can smash up a bar of chocolate. refrigerate first so it's nice and hard, put in a ziplok bag, place on a durable surface and smash away with something heavy like a small hammer. The chunks will be of random size and shape, and may not hold their shape when you cook whatever it is. chocolate morsels are formulated to hold their shape when heated unless you purposely stir them.

This is doubtless fine for cookies. Some of the expensive "gourmet" cookies have gotten away from chocolate morsels and tout their revolutionary "chocolate chunks."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen