Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help! Sheva Brochos menu!

chica

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 9:01 am
I think I got myself into a little pickle.

My best friend is getting married and I offered to do a sheva bracha dinner for them.

The Chasson is allergic to anything dairy, anything that touches gluten, anything with soy (anything 'parve' including margarine, chocolate etc etc) and citrus.

I'd also like to do it for a reasonable price.

I had originally thought to do it milchig and do a few dishes that were allergy friendly (fish, gluten free pasta) but I realized it's probably not a nice think to do.

Any ideas?

Mannys613

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 2:12 pm
can you just make a small amount of allergy free food so you dont have to have a ton left over but the chosson will have what to eat? if you have enough so everyone can sample it but not too much that it will make you crazy, he wont feel isolated because hes the only one eating that food. then make larger amounts of regular sheva brachos fare.

geemum

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 2:56 pm
hors d'oeuvre - deli salad
soup - veg
main - rice, roast chicken, veg
dessert - any dessert with fruit (so chosson can choose fruit)

all very easy and low budget

milky is not always cheaper and definately not easier. IME

mazal tov and good luck Smile

ETA - can you imagine this kallah will have to cook every night supper to suit her DH allergies!! I stress what to make without allergies (although we do have VERY fussy and weight conscious individuals here!)

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 3:57 am
I actually like the mixed approach of making separate potion for chatan and having a few dishes ok for everyone. Agree chicken is probably easier and more cost effective.

A few other things you can do.
Appetisers: crudite (for chatan have chummous and tomato based dip like salsa, mayo can be made with soyabean oil), eggrolls or filo triangles

Soup: veg, chicken (kneidlach/noodle for all, gluten-free pasta or eggdrop for chatan)

Main: meatballs (use latke mix instead of breadcrumb/matzo meal), grilled chicken, I like roasted chicken idea too. You can also do poached salmon or salmon kebabs.

Sides: pasta bar (gluten-free/rice/corn pasta for chatan), baked baby potato, roasted vegetables (red and yellow peppers, courgettes, sweet potatoes, red onion, fennels, mushrooms), green salad (dressing on the side, simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar vinaigrette for chatan)

Dessert: fruits, sorbet (puree fruits with sugar, freeze, take out 20min before serving and scoop to fluff it), cake for other guests (see if you can find gluten-free cake for chatan, or rice cake covered with lecithin-free chocolate)

You might want to make sure you're cooking in non-soya vegetable oil (sunflower, safflower, canola).
How many people are you expecting? Is it going to be sit-down or buffet?

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 7:44 pm
I would make the whole sheva brachot safe. I don't think anything else is right.

Deli is a gluten and soy issue. It needs to be checked very carefully.

Salad of some sort (maybe avacado salad?) or fruit salad with watermelon, honeydew, cantelope, Strawberry, if he can have.

Chicken soup with potato kneidels Or a hearty split pea soup. perhaps with mini meat balls. (I never use breadcrumbs in meatballs, and it comes out great)

Stuffed chicken/broiled chicken/schnitzel with gluten free coating.

Brown rice with onion, zucchini and pepper sauteed in, (many white rice brands have gluten issues check carefully)

Grilled veggies, or candied sweet potatoes,

Roasted sweet potato and white potato with honey on top.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics