Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help needed from EY moms, or anyone else

amother

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:15 pm
with experience checking for nits/lice. I just the "dreaded note" from my dd's school, that someone in her class has nits and every girl has to be checked daily (by her mother - who in this case knows nothing) before she can go back to school.

B'H dd's hair is not too long, but I have NO idea how to do this or even really what I'm looking for.

Also, is there anything else I can do to prevent this from happening to my dd?

Please advise

(oh, and nevermind that I'm two weeks from my due date, b/c I guess there never is a GOOD time for this)

ANON b/c don't want anyone to figure out what school/child this is.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:15 pm
Okay, apparently, you can't edit when you're amother. I meant to say just "got" the note . . .

momaleh

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 1:56 am
Get a really good lice comb from your pharmacy. Should cost 60-80 nis. It's a good investment (sorry.)

Spread mayo or hair conditioner all over her hair. Wait 20 minutes.

Comb all hair well. Give her a toy or book or whatever else will keep her busy. If there's anything there, it will come out.

I use shampoo with Rosemary regularly, it is supposed to keep them away.

Keep her hair in braids or a ponytail.

Good luck!

amother

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 9:55 am
Thank you. She got past her first check this morning. I'll have to go find some rosemary shampoo.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 10:12 am
for maintenance, you can use a thick conditioner once a week and let it sit for the same 20 minutes or so. helps a lot !

ABC

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 1:09 pm
why would you use mayo rather than conditioner?

Imaonwheels

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 11:40 pm
I never slathered anything on my kids heads and bought the nit comb with the little magnifying glass. Combing after shampooing was part of their regular hygeine routine. Always until they learned to do it themselves. There was never as much as a problem once we started that.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 12:32 am
Use the Assy 2000 comb, 60 plus shekel. Momleh's advice should work. I check after my kids shower. They have to use a lot of conditioner, and not rinse it out completely, only mostly. Hair should be checked after it stops dripping but is still wet.

Who cares which school or child this is? In Israel it's every school and every child!

jackiejoel3

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 3:14 am
The bugs look like bugs and are kind of clear. The nits look like clear eggs that have tails. They do not look like sand or dry scalp. Also make sure that you comb from the part at the top and all the way around and then do the underneath. They like to sit behind the ears. Comb at least once a week whether or not they have it to check twice a week is better. Make it very clear to your DD that she shoulddn't share her headband, hat etc. With anyone and she shouldn't try on anyone elses things either. If she does have a bad case comb in the morning and at night this will generally get it and change her pillow case everyday.

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 4:00 am
knock on a neighbor's door and ask them to show you what a nit looks like. A louse is quite inevitably a bug....pretty obvious. once you know what a nit is, it's pretty obvious too. If your child's hair is thick then the aussie 2000 comb is great, but quite honestly just checking the hair yourself is quite often the best.

after showering, spray your children's hair with rosemary conditioner (and comb with lice comb every few days if you feel it's necessary) and just leave it in...I find this to be a very good preventative measure. Don't let your children wear their hair down.

Even if your child does get and you are having trouble getting rid of it, it's so common and normal here, probably due to the hot weather 10 months a year, that if you ask a neighbor for some help it's nothing to be embarrassed by.

As for thin hair, some people prefer a different cheaper comb, my daughter with thin hair bli ayin hara has never gotten lice or nits (that I know of)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:54 am
I'd also like to know if there is a reason to spread mayo on their hair rather than just a regular conditioner
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics