Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Isn't this a halachic issue?
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:49 pm
GR wrote:
The difference is that the cake/pie is supposed to be hot. Much different than cold on cold. Although thinking of it now, the cake/pie probably isn't hot enough to be considered hot enough to cook, so maybe it's not a problem after all.

I was told it is not the cooking of the ice cream, but causing the ice cream to melt faster, no matter what the temperature of the cake.

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:51 pm
Do you have any idea why that is? Just curious. Why isn't cooking the ice cream a concern?

sky

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:53 pm
teachby wrote:
While we're on the topic, can someone tell me how to serve a Molten Chocolate Dessert on shabbos. Also, do you have a good recipe?

try this thread:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....+cake

sky

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:54 pm
GR wrote:
Do you have any idea why that is? Just curious. Why isn't cooking the ice cream a concern?

My cakes are not yad soledes bo when I take them off my crockpot. they are just warm. (Maybe they are because the choc melts inside - but I don't think they are that hot).

Off topic - I was told that I can't put it on my crockpot on shabbos if the middle will melt. I can put it there before shabbos and leave it until we are ready to eat it.

sympa

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 6:39 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
You think you've got problems.......... I made an apple crumble and one of the guests refused to eat it until he had said Borei Minei Mezonos on a cracker first - and it was b'toych seudah !!!!

There is a 3-way machlokes among poskim as to what constitutes "pas haba b'kisnin" (mezonos foods, as opposed to hamotzi). Without getting into the details of each opinion, for all intents and purposes each one holds that all other opinions would be considered hamotzi. So, lema'ase, when eating almost all mezonos foods during a bread meal, they can be "covered" by the original hamotzi since at least one opinion holds their bracha IS hamotzi (although outside a meal, we pasken mezonos).
However, if a food satisfies all 3 opinion that it should be mezonos (and this is VERY rare, but maybe the guest thought the apple crumble actually does), then it might NOT be covered by the original hamotzi. It would be a safek bracha. (His solution to make a mezonos on a cracker doesn't seem to make sense though - I think that would just be a bracha levatallah, since crackers are surely covered by hamotzi!?)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 8:19 pm
Yeah, you'd think ....

lamplighter

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:11 pm
Is it only an issue if its yad soledes bo, or is the melting of the ice cream also an issue?
Anyone serve warm/hot cake and ice cream on shabbos?

GetReal

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:19 pm
la456 wrote:
Is it only an issue if its yad soledes bo, or is the melting of the ice cream also an issue?
Anyone serve warm/hot cake and ice cream on shabbos?

See my post above about nolad. I wonder though if it applies to ice cream, which is not frozen solid like an ice cube. Maybe I should call a Rav.

mums_the_word

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:35 pm
As far as I remember learning, there's a difference between cooking and causing to melt.
And that if the hot thing is cooler than "yad soledes bo" it's not a problem to cause melting.

elf123

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 1:21 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
Also, I know that putting ice into a drink is okay on Shabbat, but pouring a drink over ice is not.

According to my DH, the Shemiras Shabbos Kehilchasah (Chap. 1, hal. 74; Chap. 10, hal. 3) says that putting ice into an empty cup in order that it should melt so that you can drink it (ugh! Ever tasted melted ice? Ugh!) is assur; no issur is mentioned vis-a-vis putting the ice in before the drink. (Although I'd be lying if I said I never heard of that chumrah.)
All these questions MUST be posed to a learned LOR!

[quote="sky"]
GR wrote:
I was told that I can't put it on my crockpot on shabbos if the middle will melt. I can put it there before shabbos and leave it until we are ready to eat it.

Not sure if you were told that by an LOR...We had a similar shaila last week and DH said it was okay to warm a Tollhouse pie even though the chocolate chips in the middle would melt. The Shemiras Shabbos Kehilchasah (Chap. 10, hal. 8 ) allows one to melt ice cream, if one doesn't like it frozen. It's not considered "nolad" because ice cream is eaten solid and softened (see note 20) - same with chocolate.

gryp

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 11:04 am
(I didn't write the above quote. I have two crockpots sitting in storage unused, and I have no idea what I would try and melt on a crockpot.)

elf123

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 11:37 am
Sorry GR, it was late and something got messed up in the quoting. As you can see in my post, above your "quote" which wasn't it yours it says "quote=sky."
And BTW the Tollhouse pie came out yummy warmed on the crockpot!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics