Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What to do with all these POTATOES?????

relaxed

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 11:28 pm
Help! I recently contributed my cooking to a family simcha but bought too much red potatoes. And I mean too much!! Now I must use them all up within the next few days because they're going to rot otherwise and I'd feel terrible if that happens.

Can anyone PLEASE share any worthwhile pareve or fleishig red potato recipes?

I would be most grateful!

elmos

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 11:39 pm
potato salad, roasted potatoes cube them sprinkle with pepper salt oil and onion powder bake covered for about an hour uncover to crisp them. I love making mashed potatoes or stuffed potatoes from red ones

relaxed

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 11:45 pm
Thanks elmos. Not into potato salad and usually make roasted potatoes so I want to try something different. Gonna make some mashed potatoes with it but never made stuffed potatoes. Can you post a recipe for that?

Fabulous

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 11:51 pm
How about make a potato soup? or potato kugel and freeze it (I've never tried it but I heard it works). French fries, either baked or fried.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 12:01 am
sautee chopped onions, add red potatoes. a little water, cook. add lots os salt, paprika and parsley. yum.

chicco

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 12:09 am
Cut the potatoes into even pieces, bite size at that. Boil them until they are soft. Strain them, put in a pan, spray with cooking spray or olive oil, sprinkle with good seasons (Italian dressing dry mix), and stick in the oven at 415 degrees until they get lightly browned or crispy. Everyone loves these.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 8:06 pm
Not a recipe to share, but my experience storing potatoes. I routinely buy large amounts of potatoes every month, and store them in a cool room in my basement, and have been doing this for two or three years now. I used to keep them in a cardboard box with the lid off so air could circulate, now I use plastic milk crates. So if you have a part of your house that is cooler than the rest, unless they are already beginning to rot, you should be able to keep them for several more weeks and not have to rush to use them up.

Just a few days ago I bought 115 pounds of potatoes, and of those I bought 50 lb red potatoes directly from the people who grew them. I asked her about how long they keep, and she said while they don't stay as long as the white potatoes, they easily last two months.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 8:52 pm
potatoes do not go bad that quickly ...

cut the potatoes with skin on ... use some olive oil, fresh garlic cloves chopped, rosemary, garlic powder and a little salt ... toss - then bake in the oven in an even layer ...

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 8:57 pm
peel, cube, boil.

once boiled and soft, drain the potatoes. add salt and pepper, and enough olive oil to make it gooey when mashed. mash. shape into cookies using two spoons. place on cookie sheets. bake until golden brown on top. crispy on the outside, mushy on the inside. serve warm. don't intend to have leftovers.

qeenB

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 9:53 pm
make latkes and freeze them for chanukah

NativeMom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 10:03 pm
Got this recipe from the binah "spice it right" cookbook". Tried it once and it was pretty good.

Mustard and Rosemary potatoes

1/3 C dijon mustard
1/4 C olive oil
2 tbsp dry white wine
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp course salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 C rosemarry leaves or 2 tsp dried
2 lbs red skinned baby potatoes cut in quarters

preheat oved to 400 deg F

combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl and add potatoes
pour potatoes onto cookie sheet
sprinkle rosemary
roast potatoes and toss a few times until potatoes ar crusty on the outside (approx 40-45 min)

wtvr

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 10:04 pm
qeenB wrote:
make latkes and freeze them for chanukah

I like this idea!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes