Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Portable Dishwasher

speciwoman

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 1:56 pm
IYH I am moving soon into a house with no dishwasher. The landlord has offered to pay for a portable one, if I buy it and install it. Can anyone recommend a good portable dishwasher? Also, is it possible to use a regular dishwasher as a portable one? Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 2:03 pm
Do you want a portable one or one that's installed ? They're very different.

A portable one has to be wheeled over to the sink and attached to the faucet. For the whole cycle, you cannot use that sink. It's very inconvenient.

One that's installed has its own water supply and electricity. You can't move it.

speciwoman

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 2:07 pm
Can I get the installable kind without space under the counter, though? Right now there are fancy cabinets all over, just an empty wall where I could put a dishwasher.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 2:16 pm
Oh, I see what you mean ... I think the 2 of them are different creatures.

The one that's rolled around has a hose to fill and drain. The one that's installed, I believe, is built differently.

What's wrong with moving some cabinets? Does the landlord not allow that ?

speciwoman

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 2:25 pm
No, that would not be possible. They just re-did the kitchen and put in fancy new cabinets everywhere. They didn't put in a dishwasher, but I really want one, so we're trying to figure out a solution. As far as I can tell, the only thing to do is get a portable one.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 3:06 pm
You should hve a dishwasher. It's a huge quality of life issue.

Do you want the kind that sits on a countertop? They've very small, though.

chavamom

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 3:12 pm
There are two different types you could consider. There is a "counter top" type and the rolling kind that you pull near the sink when you use it. Which kind do you think you have more room for?

Fox

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 3:20 pm
I love my portable dishwasher! In fact, I've had it for almost 19 years, and it still works better than the new installed dishwasher I put in about six months ago!

Mine rolls over to the sink, but it has a countertop that can be used as extra counterspace. I know people have wildly different feelings about doing dishes, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd happily keep my dishwasher in the bathroom, if necessary!

I'll check on the brand/model.

mammala120

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 7:13 pm
I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN DISHWASHER, THANKS FOR STARTING THIS THREAT.

the one that works for 19 years,,,,,,can I have more info about that please

Mommastuff

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 9:08 pm
Fox wrote:
I love my portable dishwasher! In fact, I've had it for almost 19 years, and it still works better than the new installed dishwasher I put in about six months ago!

Mine rolls over to the sink, but it has a countertop that can be used as extra counterspace. I know people have wildly different feelings about doing dishes, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd happily keep my dishwasher in the bathroom, if necessary!

I'll check on the brand/model.

I was also looking into them but found nothing under $450, and I had no recommendations for a particular brand

speciwoman

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 12:15 pm
I am talking about the kind you would wheel over and hook up to a sink, not the counter-top kind. If anyone has specific recommendations for that type of dishwasher, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, can someone tell me whether they can be used on a bathroom sink (as opposed to a kitchen sink)?

Thanks!!

Mommastuff

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 10:26 pm
Bump.
Anyone have a recommendation?

anonymom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 10:07 pm
I have experience with the GE portable full size one. It was the best 450 bucks I ever invested! You unscrew the end of your kitchen faucet and in it's place you put an adaptor that comes with the portable DW. Then the hose snaps onto the adaptor. It takes water from your sink, and empties into your sink. It has a button that lets you get a little water, lets say to rinse your hands while it's attached, but you cannot have anything in the sink while it runs. when the cycle is done, you unsnap the hose and it slips back inside the DW. It measures about 25 x 27", so make sure you have a good place for it. The extra counter space is nice too.

I did have a problem with the rubber pieces melting inside the DW and leaving a black residue on the bottom, but it did not affect the dishes. Someone I know was afraid of the same thing happening, so she does not use hers with very hot water.

anonymom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 10:14 pm
about a bathroom sink, a few things to consider:

Is the floor continuous from your kitchen to your bathroom because they wheel easily on a floor, but not over a bump. If you have a marble threshhold like many bathrooms, it would be hard to do and you would risk breaking it. Do you have enough room in your bathroom? They are 25 X 27".

You may need to get a kitchen style faucet that would work.

The deeper the sink, the less splashing you will have when the DW empties. Even in my kitchen sink there was a little splashing to the sides. I would imagine in a shallow bathroom sink, it may be a problem depending where the water hits. A laundry sink would be ideal because it is deep and wide.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars