Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do you pronounce Antarctica?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:41 am
How do you pronounce "ANTARCTICA"?
Do you pronounce the C or is it silent?
I've heard both, but I wonder if there's a correct way to pronounce it.

TIA

amother

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:51 am
Anybody? Question

tizunabi

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:52 am
according to the pronunciation guide at dictionary.com, both pronunciations are correct.

Number_1

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:53 am
Never heard it pronounced with the C

WriterMom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:54 am
The C is not silent.

FYI, "Arctic" comes from the latin word for "bear" because of the polar bears there and the North Star which is, in Latin, named for it. Antarctic means "without bears."

louche

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:55 am
Number_1 wrote:
Never heard it pronounced with the C

My dictionary shows both acceptable, but WITH the C is preferred. Dinosaurs like me recall when with a C was the only officially sanctioned pronunciation.

ARTIC--no C--is an Israeli ice cream bar.

Hodu Lashem

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:57 am
I pronounce it with the middle "C" silent.

Now, I just went to dictionary.com and checked it out. They have both pronunciations listed, but the one they feature is with the C pronounced (They have a audio file of the word that you can listen to, if you click on the little speaker icon next to the word.)

(I just love dictionary.com. A very helpful site!)

amother

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 12:01 pm
Thanks, everybody. And thanks, WriterMom for the FYI.

embarrassed embarrassed

louche

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 12:13 pm
WriterMom wrote:
The C is not silent.

FYI, "Arctic" comes from the latin word for "bear" because of the polar bears there and the North Star which is, in Latin, named for it. Antarctic means "without bears."

Nice folk etymology, but not quite accurate, as the names originated long before anyone had explored either domain. There was a legend that there was a great landmass down south, but it wasn't actually discovered till the exploratory voyages in the 18th Century.

Arctic derives from the Greek Arktos/arktikos, meaning "bear," or "north" . Ursa Major,Latin for "great Bear," is a constellation visible most of the year in the northern hemisphere, hence the connection between bears and the north. We know Ursa Major as the Big Dipper.

Antarctic is from anti+arktikos, or "opposite north". Which is a funny way to say South, but when you're inventing language...

WriterMom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 12:15 pm
louche wrote:
WriterMom wrote:
The C is not silent.

Nice folk etymology, but not quite accurate, as the names originated long before anyone had explored either domain. There was a legend that there was a great landmass down south, but it wasn't actually discovered till the exploratory voyages in the 18th Century.

Arctic derives from the Greek Arktos/arktikos, meaning "bear," or "north" . Ursa Major,Latin for "great Bear," is a constellation visible most of the year in the northern hemisphere, hence the connection between bears and the north. We know Ursa Major as the Big Dipper.

Antarctic is from anti+arktikos, or "opposite north". Which is a funny way to say South, but when you're inventing language...

From professor wikipedia? Wink I'll go with my classics profs, thanks. And yes, the regions were named before they were explored.

louche

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 12:21 pm
No, from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary and from Webster's Third edition Unabridged.

YALT

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 1:34 pm
talking about Antarctica, 2 points that I've been noticing alot of ppl making mistakes about here in NY:

1) some ppl think it is not a continent
2) some ppl think Antarctica refers to both north & south pole.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 1:38 pm
I read the entire thread and JUSt realized which C everyone was talking about (I pronounce both Cs) but I was thinking...antarctisa? antartia??? lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics