Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2nd flu shot for 16 month old?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 12:27 pm
My 16 month old ds got a flu shot last month, and he was supposed to come in for a second shot this week. They just called and cancelled because they're out of shots, I should call back next week. I asked if it's okay to wait longer than a month (since they might not even have it then) between the two shots, and she said, oh, he doesn't need a second flu shot. At my request, she double checked with the doctor, who said I can get another shot elsewhere for him if I want, but it's not really necessary.

The lady who was calling me didn't seem to know what she was talking about (not one of the regular secretaries at the office, I don't know who she was). Do any of you know? If you gave your 15 month old a flu shot, would you give them a second? It seems that the office is "saving" them for kids who haven't even gotten one yet, which I understand...but I don't love the idea of just taking my kid to Walmart or something and getting it done there. Anyone know more about this than me?

NYmommy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 1:34 pm
I dont have a 15 month old but I have a 3 & 5 year old & was told to come back 4 weeks later for a second shot. On the paper I got from the shot I also saw that young kids need 2 shots.

fleetwood

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 2:04 pm
A child only needs a second(booster) shot if this is their first time receiving the vaccine. Both my kids only needed one because it was not their first time.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 2:11 pm
Our pediatrician told me that all children under age 4 need the booster.
Try to find a place to get it for your 16 month old.
There are clinics set up in NY, open until December, just for the flu vaccine. Call 311 for info.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 5:39 pm
My ped said only the first year that a young child receives the shot do they need the 2nd one. So, dd got 2 last year (she was 17-18 mos).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics