Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Chicago
Previous  1  2

yihyetov

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:08 pm
actually my bubby lived in albany park. she told me the neighborhood was "going down" and many blacks were moving in..(im not a racist!- just my bubbys words)...but its funny I do feel like we keep migrating north..like when I was growing up north of touhy was like wooaaa out there, now its picking up speed majorly!

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:16 pm
It's funny that Albany Park is now actually pretty nice with relatively few not-so-great spots. Largely Korean and upwardly-mobile Hispanic or European. I'd never get away with my haphazard lawn care on one of the Korean blocks!

If we keep chasing each other north, we'll eventually all be living in a tent city in front of Target and Jewel!

yihyetov

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:21 pm
lol! LOL fox you are soo cute! (and I always enjoy reading your posts...)

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:25 pm
Both my husbands grandparents had stores in Albany Park and they moved north bc the neighnorhood was going "down"

yihyetov

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:28 pm
where are you from origionally clarivka? you dont sound so happy in Chicago...

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:34 pm
yihyetov wrote:
where are you from origionally clarivka? you dont sound so happy in Chicago...

South Bend.
I really dont think I wrote anything to convey my dislike for the city.

yihyetov

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:37 pm
hmm.. I guess not. I hope you didn't take offense...I guess just a vibe I get from your posts?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 4:06 am
op here. Wow, I didn't see all of those posts until today. Its a good thing I am somewhat familiar with the area. I grew up in a neighbooring state and always went to chicago to eat at kens or go to a bookstore or kosher meat. So I sort of get a feel for it, but I have only spent on shabbos there, with a family friend in skokie... so Im not too familiar with the community aspect.

all of your posts are helpful. As far as how "yeshivish" we are. I mentioned that b/c we are moving from Israel and while we aren't "super shtark" its hard to move from Israel to anywhere in the states. How to define us? DH would like to work and learn as well if he can. I cover my hair fully, wear tights in the summer, long sleeves, skirts go BELOW the knee, not just barley skimming it... no tv in the house. but we are defiantly open to things like computers, some "kosher secular music", not very strict with chalov yisroel things like that... Its obviously hard to explain.. we are pretty relaxed, but still there is a big emphasis on learning and raising our kids in a shtark enviornment. (bais yaakov etc.)

we arent looking to be a part of a kollel, as dh will have his masters and plans on working.

we are sort of deciding between chicago, cleveland, and possibly atlanta- which I dont know about at all. But we would like to "like" chicago as its close to both of our families, like I said I lived in a neighbooring state.

we are also not, the most outgoing people in the world. DH meets people through work and shul, but right now, as I don't yet have children, its much harder for me to meet people. so we want a friendly enviorment.. I know of course, we will have to make an effort as well.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 4:16 am
Is coming for a shabbes an option to see the place? You're welcome to come to us, we live in WRP and would love to have any and all amothers from the area Smile
We also have plenty of room and lots of excitement Smile strudel can attest to that!

If I had to put you in a box I think id go with the kollel or the skokie kollel ppl but the skokie kollel ppl live in a very secluded space (most on campus).

Hope I helped SOMEWHAT!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 7:42 am
Thanks clarivka. wouuld love to come for a shabbos, but we are still in Israel and when we come back we arent sure how we are going to go to different city's looking at places before settling! its so confusing. IY'H like I said, we will have a 4-5 month old at that time, so we have to figure out how in the world we are going to be able to travel...

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks clarivka. wouuld love to come for a shabbos, but we are still in Israel and when we come back we arent sure how we are going to go to different city's looking at places before settling! its so confusing. IY'H like I said, we will have a 4-5 month old at that time, so we have to figure out how in the world we are going to be able to travel...

If you have parents nearby id go to them first with all your belongings and then scout out from there. Jewish communities like st louis, minneapolis, etc are all within driving distance-shouldnt b so hard.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 12:07 am
What about Milwaukee?

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 2:15 am
amother wrote:
What about Milwaukee?

Are you OP?

the west side is very conformist. They act like rabbi twerski is THE ONLY REBBE EVER.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 6:34 am
clarivka, the amother above is not the op. I am the op. I happen to know a bit about milwaukee. Im not going to get into any politics about the twersky community b/c I dont even know so much about it. but I do know that there are other communities poping up around many of the suburbs of milwaukee. they happen to be very nice, just too small for our needs and not many young people moving there.

also good idea about driving to the differnet places to see them. diffently an option to consider. does anyone know how long the drive is from chicago to cleveland?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 8:43 am
amother wrote:
clarivka, the amother above is not the op. I am the op. I happen to know a bit about milwaukee. Im not going to get into any politics about the twersky community b/c I dont even know so much about it. but I do know that there are other communities poping up around many of the suburbs of milwaukee. they happen to be very nice, just too small for our needs and not many young people moving there.

also good idea about driving to the differnet places to see them. diffently an option to consider. does anyone know how long the drive is from chicago to cleveland?

It's around 6 hours; could be somewhat less with virtually no stops.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating