Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Thanksgiving Day

bigmomma

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 3:22 pm
It seems like every store, library, book store, everything is closed in this city on Thanksgiving? What is everyone doing? What is there to do? Anywhere to go?????

sky

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 3:38 pm
If an evening trip works for you:

http://www.christmasinhershey.com/

We do this every year and love it.

bubby

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 3:38 pm
Some supermarkets, the Macy's parade & that's it. The one day DH is home & I'm stuck in cooking for Shabbos. But this year EVERYONE'S a citizen so I'm making my first Turkey Dinner! We'll have leftovers for Shabbos.

smilingmom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:02 pm
Free ice skating at Bryant Park. I'll be there!

WaitingtoDeliver

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:27 pm
central park zoo is open 365 days a year.

bigmomma

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 6:45 pm
sky, I don't celebrate x-mas. Smiling mom, I was thinking about ice skating. Do you have to bring your own skates at Bryant park. If not are the rental skates any good? Will it be packed?

smilingmom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 7:01 pm
You can rent great skates for about 15 dollars. I think on thanksgiving afternoon it will be empty because most people are having their Dinner. But it may be packed with tourist. Either way, it should be fun.

sky

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 7:22 pm
bigmomma wrote:
sky, I don't celebrate x-mas. Smiling mom, I was thinking about ice skating. Do you have to bring your own skates at Bryant park. If not are the rental skates any good? Will it be packed?

I don't either. Hershey park is open from 5 - 10 on thanksgiving. Only kids rides and slow rides are open. There are lights - but it makes everything seem not so dark. We bundle up the kids, bring some hot drinks and have a great time. The Hershey factory ride is also open, and heated, with no holiday theme on the free ride. We love it and our kids are young enough to not get the holiday association. There is nothing religious about it.

I'd imagine by ice skating they would have the same amount of decorations and musice you'd see at Hershey park. But thats just my opinion.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 7:27 am
I'm going to get ready for Shabbos. Maybe go through my recipes and tidy them up.

Sunday will be a big shopping day in Manhattan for me.

BigMomma, I assume you're also off on xms day and NYS' day, so plan accordingly.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 6:55 pm
Movie theatres are also open. (Read about it on FB).

bigmomma

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 6:35 pm
Any really good movies out there???

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 7:38 am
You might buy a Time Out New York to see what's doing in NYC this week.

mimismile

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 7:03 am
the aquarium is open (the coney island one) 365 days a year! thats where we're heading!

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2009, 7:25 am
I don't think SKY was suggesting you expose your kids to Xmas--she was merely suggesting an evening activity that happens to have some lights. It just seems like a huge shlep from the 5 bouroughs!

Those lights are ALL AROUND you---especially if you go to the Mall or to Manhattan or just about anywhere...

You can run--but you can't HIDE!!!

Well, I guess you can stay home for a month or so under your covers with all the lights off and the doors locked... Good Luck with that!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries