Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What should I be when I grow up?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 5:16 pm
I just told my school that I'm not going to return as a teacher next year. I had a very hard year- hard class, difficult administration, etc., etc., etc. I just feel burnt-out of teaching for the moment. I've only been doing it for 4 or 5 years but I feel like I need a break. When I was single, I put my whole being into it but now that I'm married, my husband comes first and I just feel like I can't push myself over the edge for my job anymore.

Prob is, I don't know what to do! There's not much I have training in other than education and we can't really afford for me to go back to school for training and have me not working. I want to get a job FAST because my parents & in-laws are convinced I'm preg (I'm not. We've been trying over a year and we've just started dealing with the doctors, etc.). So on top of the pressure they gave me before, now it's even worse. I feel like I wanna just bury myself. But that's not the point of this thread. The point is: what should I do? I want something with at least a decent salary. Insurance would be good. Having off Y"T would be a nice perk. But I need to find something ASAP but that they'll let me start at the end of June (when the schoolyear finishes). I feel like a kid again (I don't know what I wanna be when I grow up). What should I do??

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 5:30 pm
You know there are home courses you can do at your pace in your place. And earn a diploma.
I would love to get a diploma in dressmaking and design and then have my own tznius brand for girls 3 yrs and up. For now it's a dream but perhaps one of these days I will make it a reality Wink

amother

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 5:45 pm
I feel for you because I also hope to give up teaching at the end of this school year. I've been teaching for about 14 years in a mod Orthodox boys' high school and I dislike it more and more. I am currently retraining in something else (translation). You can often get a job in something less demanding meanwhile, and retrain part-time which can at least, partly, help financially. See what's available in your area and keep thinking. It took me a long time to come to the idea of what I could do instead and do from home.

mali

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 2:34 am
this is a big problem in some circles. I also gave up teaching this year. it was a relief, but I wasn't qualified for anything else. it's about time our seminaries give the girls some more choices other than teaching.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 5:39 am
I am sure that there are not so expensive courses to train you in computer skills and then you can work in an office.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 9:48 am
Been there, done that. Went into Jewish social Service, but more at the secretarial end.

At some point I did take computer courses nd I segued into working for a lawyer and make a LOT more money.

preggymama

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 1:11 pm
Im having the same problem... Going thru the frum high school and sem. system leaves us all only qualified to teach...

chen

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 2:56 pm
Did you teach limudei kodesh or chol? Are you a licensed teacher? Private tutoring in limudei kodesh, especially for Conservative clientele, pays really well, even if you are not a licensed teacher. Licensed teachers in limudei chol can also charge big bucks for tutoring, at least in the US.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 4:11 pm
I teach limudei chol. I have a degree and liscencing from another state (not the one I just moved to). I tutored over the summer and can charge easily $50/hr (or more). The thing is, during the school year, people want tutors after school. I want to be home then. (I thought about tutoring. I've thought about every possible job. I just can't think of anything I'd could do well and enjoy...).

Mishie

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 12:54 am
Here's my 2 cents:

I think tutoring during the summer would be a good idea.
Because:
During that time you can take courses to train you in computers and office management.
You can tutor during the hours you'll be home. and the good part is, you decide when it's convenient for you. and, it doesn't have to be Every day....
Plus - you'll feel good that you'll also be making some money. (it might even pay for your education).
And - it will keep you busy, keep your mind off other things, which, IMHO, is one of the best cures (for alot of things!!!)

I wish you alot of Hatzlacha!
I know you'll do great at whatever you do!!!

8)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics