Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Margarine Substitute

mamale

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 10:44 am
I know its not good to use margarine, but so many recipes -cakes, cookies, desserts, kugels - call for it. Does anyone know what I can use as a good (pareve) substitute?

cindy324

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 10:45 am
There really isn't anything that'll produce the same results, unless you want to use applesauce instead , which willmake the cake low-fat.But as far as kugels go...I don't think it'll work

red sea

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 11:02 am
My sister uses oil instead in cakes and cookies, says it comes out just fine.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 11:26 am
Is oil really so much better than margarine?

I use applesauce in cakes and cookies, and can't taste any difference.

In terms of kugels - I don't use margarine in any kugels. The only kugel I make that contains oil is potato, and even that doesn't require oil.

red sea

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 11:31 am
Prob not much (its slightly less processed so its still better) defy but u can use non-hydrogenated oil, applesauce works well only if ur not picky about giving a slight taste change, works fine by me but many don't like it.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 12:06 pm
I have actualy heard that even butter is pretty much the same as marg.

For dairy use, obviously.

elisecohen

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 1:04 pm
It depends on your concern--is it the hydrogenated oils or the total fat? If your concern is trans-fats and hydrogenation, then using appropriate oils (and there are even margarine subs that are trans-fat free now with good hechshers) works well; if your concern is total fat content of the foods, then you want to go with the applesauce/pureed prunes or similar subs. A recent study has cast some doubt on the benefits of low-fat foods, though, and realize that they have a higher sugar content.

mamale

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 12:02 am
I substituted half oil and half applesauce in brownie cake I baked Fri afternoon and it came out good. Smile

cutiesmom

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:41 am
Quote:
My sister uses oil instead in cakes and cookies, says it comes out just fine.

You can easily substitute oil when the recipe calls for melted margarine. If the recipe calls for soft or cold it may not work (crumb toppings for example).

shopaholic

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 10:06 am
For mashed potatoes, I use the squeezy Smart Beat margarine. it's probably full of chemicals but less/no fat. Besides, I use it only a couple of times a month only. They also make tub margarine & maybe stick for baking?

Rivka

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 4:39 pm
Margarine is a substitute for butter.

happy

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 6:18 pm
Just found this in the kosher by design cookbook:

"Place the desired amount of cottonseed oil in the freezer for 2-3 hours. It will solidify and take on the consistency of soft margarine. You can use it straight from the freezer, and it will work well in many receipes."

Hope this helps. If anyone tries this let me know how it goes!!

mamale

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 9:11 pm
Thanks, Happy!! I'm going to try this!

goldrose

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 9:36 pm
Quote:
If the recipe calls for soft or cold it may not work (crumb toppings for example).

I have a cake recipe with a crumb topping that calls for oil. it's not a substitute, it's the original recipe.

brooklyn

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 2:29 pm
I've noticed that many brands of margarine are now dairy. I had to look through most of the brands on the shelf at the supermarket until I was able to find one that was pareve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen