Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What Would You Have Done?

shira

Post Sat, Dec 12 2009, 5:26 pm
So I've been sick with the flu most of this past week and have been surviving from one dose Extra Strength Tylenol to the next. One morning I took myself, my 1 year old, and my bottle of tylenol (with accompanying cup of water) to bed. I measured out 2 tablets, closed the cap, downed the meds, and nursed the baby to sleep. I, of course, was asleep within minutes too.
Well, apparently in my delirium, I failed to close the bottle of tylenol properly.
A few hours later my baby woke up but seemed content to play on my bed so I continued to drift in and out of consciousness. At some point I opened my eyes and found my baby playing in a huge mound of............Extra Strength Tylenol.
I called my pediatrition immediately and he asked me to describe what I noticed.
I had noticed that:
-she didn't have anything in her mouth when I found her
-her mouth did not seem chalky or white at all
-those pills are large and not easy to swallow (even for me!) and she didn't seem to be in any distress

He told me that I did have a window of about 45 minutes where I can make her throw up.
So, I hung up with him and did just that.
Aside from being one of the most traumatic experiences (I think both for me and her!), I got it done- there was no tylenol BUT there was little of anything else either so I wasnt ABSOLUTELY sure that I made her throw up enough.
I called the pediatrition back and he felt that I could assume she had not ingested anything but that if I was nervous, I could take her to the emergency room.
I was back and forth for a good half hour since taking her to the hospital would mean subjecting her to extensive blood work - possibly needlessly! But, was I prepared to take such an awesome responsibility of potential severe liver damage for my baby???
I decided that I'd never be able to live with myself were I NOT to go to the hospital and if chas v'shalom........so I decided to go.
Then I remembered that the Tylenol was a brand new bottle that I'd just opened the day before.
A full bottle included 250 tablets. I counted 238. Between my husband (who's also sick) and myself we were able to account for the missing 12.
I felt that THAT was enough support for the position that she hadn't ingested anything and opted to stay home. Even so, I was extremely vigilant for symptoms of tylenol OD for the next 24 hours since I couldn't know for certain, no matter how positive the evidence. Boruch Hashem, 2 days later and my baby is doing just fine.

What Would You Have Done?

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 12 2009, 5:38 pm
I would have called Poison Control and asked what the worst that could happen was if my baby swallowed the maximum number of tablets I thought might have been swallowed.

I think you did great keeping your cool and thinking rationally when you were sick with the flu! Try to train yourself to keep unsafe things away from young children "even in your sleep" - like by always hiding the medicine under your pillow if you are using it in the room before you go to sleep there, etc. - and of course, putting it away when you leave the room.

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 12 2009, 7:32 pm
I would have kept a vigilant eye on her as well ... and it was great thinking about counting the pills ... boruch Hashem you're both okay ...

amother

Post Sat, Dec 12 2009, 7:46 pm
Quote:
I would have called Poison Control

I have been told you should be VERY careful about calling them, as they track you. Too many calls and it's "child abuse investigation" time. So if your pediatrician was able to advise you, you were right not to call Poison Control!

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 12:18 am
What is too many? Anyway, I'm in Israel, so if I call U.S. poison control because they are good and speak my panic language in an emergency), I think I'm okay.

SavtaHelen

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 12:47 am
I thnk that you did exactly the right thing. Taking her to the emergency room would have exposed her to all kinds of germs and bugs in addition to all the painful testing and time wasted. And it wouldn't have done great things for your health!

Between pill counting, observatons and forcing her to vomit, you did all you can. And MOST importantly, you were operating under your physician['s guidance. He didn't say "go" he said that this was an option if you were uneasy.

I called the Poison Control center when my (now) Chayal walked into the living room late one night announcing that he had eaten "ONE" of my mom's bp pills. He was about 18 months at the time, and I coudln't trust that he knew how to count and she had no idea how many pills were in the bottle.

We made him throw up (tons!) and called.

They told us "80% chance that he will be fine, but there is a 20% chance of heart failure". I sat up all night making sure that he was breathing! What idiotic advice. They didn't tell us to go to the hospital and we didn't think of it, but if I was thinking logically, 20% chance of heart failure???!!!!

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 12:55 am
amother wrote:
Quote:
I would have called Poison Control

I have been told you should be VERY careful about calling them, as they track you. Too many calls and it's "child abuse investigation" time. So if your pediatrician was able to advise you, you were right not to call Poison Control!

Sorry, I think this is ridiculous. A)How do you know that this is true? B) Is it right to scare moms about protecting their children?

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 1:05 am
SavtaHelen, which poison control center did you call? I have called the U.S. number in addition to the Haifa number, and felt more reassured that way.

U.S. Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics