Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Running to the doctor so often

amother

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 1:23 pm
I'm trying to decide if I am just paranoid mom, or do I have real reason to be concerned.
Last week my 3 yr old had a horrible cough, and turned out he had viral bronchitis. I had him on a ventilator a few times a day until that horrible cough went away. I ended up going back to the dr 3 times last week to make sure the bronchitis wasn't turning into something worst, I was so nervous, he was hacking cough, and had such a heaving breathing.
Now my 18 month has a bad cough. it actually sounds different. not as hacking so I don't think it's the same thing. What is strange is that the baby only has it while he is lying down, nap and sleeping time. During the day I do not hear the cough at all. But at night it's incessant. Even with a humidifier.

When he breaths I hear like a whistle sounds from his noise.

Should I be taking him back to the doctor?

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 1:35 pm
when my dd had a really bad cough- the first question the dr asked was if it was worse at night or when lying down. it wasn't though and I don't know what the significance of it being worse during night time would mean, but If I were you I would check it out. I've been running to the dr a lot this year also. It's my ds's first year in school and he has been bringing home a lot of germs, I guess.

drumjj

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 4:25 pm
a cough only at night is usually croup

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 4:27 pm
Yes, you should take him to the doctor. You are not being paranoid, you are doing what needs to be done.
I too have questioned myself many times, but have realized that a mother's intuition is best.

Marigold

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 4:28 pm
Or a nasal drip.
My doctor explained to me that when a child is lying back the mucus travels down and irritates the throat thus causing one to cough. She suggest elevating the mattres or crib with something.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics