Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Ideas why my Challah when rising smells horrible?

Motherof7

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 1:49 pm
I use my MIL recipe and use fresh yeast and every time I make challah the smell would knock you out. I am talking really strong yeast smell. Almost like rubbing alcohol. So, of course I still braid and bake it, but there is sometimes an after taste. What would cause such a strong smell? I have asked everyone and no one has an answer for me.

chanahlady

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 4:57 pm
Yeast that is rising too fast can smell like alcohol. Try putting it in a not-as-warm place when you let it rise.

Motherof7

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 8:02 pm
I put it in my sink in a plastic bag. So, perhaps because it may be too hot in my kitchen that is causing this? Hmmm, come to think of it I am usually cooking on both stoves and ovens. Let me try it without cooking anything else and see if that makes a difference. thanks!

Pineapple

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 9:20 pm
why do you use a plastic bag?

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 9:59 pm
the plastic bag is the problem. Do you know how many chemical reactions you are causing? The smell is not the yeast, unless the yeast is bad. Oil the dough and cover with a towel, see what happens.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 10:08 pm
I can think of several reasons that might contribute to the bad smell and aftertaste.. from experience, of course..
1- Yeast might not be fresh, in the first place.....

2- Too much yeast in the recipe = yeasty aftertaste

3- Dough that rises for very long, 3 or 4 hours, especially in overheated temperature = sour, smelly dough

4- When using a mixer to make a Challah dough, 'always' use a timer, and make sure it runs no longer than 10-12 minutes, otherwise the dough becomes too overheated. What usually happens with most mixers, as the motor runs, they become heated. The longer the mixer runs, the hotter the dough becomes. When the dough reaches a certain (too) warm temperature, it may destroy some affects of the yeast, and may also turn sour and smelly, as it rises.
I only use water that is room temperature, and not warmer. The machine adds enough heat during the mixing process...
In fairly warm, yet comfortable, room temperature, an hour of rising, should be sufficient. After it's braided and placed into the pan let rise for another 30- 40 minutes. Do not allow it to over-rise...

Good luck

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 10:21 pm
bad yeast smells foul and the bread will taste the same ...

but you might be fermenting it yourself putting it in a plastic bag to rise ... yeast needs air

neverbored

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 2:21 am
I had that when I either used too hot water to make my yeast rise, or if my dough overheated while mixing, that is if I used too high a speed when mixing or I mixed for too long.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads