Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Can you help us plan our day in the City with the kids?

cookiemilk

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 4:38 pm
We want to start in the largest public library in NYC, does anyone know which one that is? and go from there into the subway, the kids have never been in it to the Empire state building with tickets to the top. Can anyone help me figure out which trains to take and how far one is fromt he other? Then its back to the library to pick up our car.

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 4:42 pm
Take me with you, I'll show you around! Lol, just kidding.

It's at 5th and 42nd.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 4:52 pm
Sure!
From the main library you can take the subway B, D, F, V from Bryant Park one stop (downtown) to 34th street--Herald Square. Then walk East on 34th Street to the Empire State Building.

cookiemilk

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 4:56 pm
Thank you manhattan mom! do you mean any one of these trains? also can I just walkk up to a subway booth and exchainge my cash for tokens or a card? I am supremely naive! Also do you mean the library on 5th and 42? and does it have an area to rest for the kids?

Maya

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 5:00 pm
The big library at 42nd and 5th has a new childrens section that your kids would enjoy.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 5:05 pm
Also, a great tool for finding your way around is hopstop.com
I find this the easiest site to use.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 5:26 pm
Eden Wok is Chinese/sushi on 34th btwn park and madison near Empire State Building. Its take out but they have an area to sit down with highchairs. Since its take out, you get your food fast, with kids that is important. The restaurant is under the OU and the meat is chassidish schita. Don't hesistate to ask the mashgiach any questions.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 6:11 pm
Yes, you can take any of those trains, and you can buy your metrocard at the booth in the station. (No more tokens, though.) It's $2.25 per ride. Little kids ride free.
I'm not sure exactly where it is, but FAO Schwartz is a great attraction to see. I would just warn the kids beforehand that you are not buying anything there, because it's very expensive. It has a lot of toys out to look out and try. It's cool.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 6:14 pm
cookiemilk wrote:
Thank you manhattan mom! do you mean any one of these trains? also can I just walkk up to a subway booth and exchainge my cash for tokens or a card? I am supremely naive! Also do you mean the library on 5th and 42? and does it have an area to rest for the kids?

Yes to all of those.

And I also highly recommend Eden Wok--great restaurant for kids.
You're also not far from Kosher Delight and J-2 on Broadway...

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 6:17 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Yes, you can take any of those trains, and you can buy your metrocard at the booth in the station. (No more tokens, though.) It's $2.25 per ride. Little kids ride free.
I'm not sure exactly where it is, but FAO Schwartz is a great attraction to see. I would just warn the kids beforehand that you are not buying anything there, because it's very expensive. It has a lot of toys out to look out and try. It's cool.

In my opinion, Toys R Us in Times Square is cooler. And the ferris wheel is fun for adults and kids!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 7:16 pm
You can also walk from the library to the Empire State Bldg. that's fun !

cookiemilk

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 9:00 pm
I see that I can walk, however I wanted to give the kids a train ride.

goodheart

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 9:11 pm
make sure u park legally they tow over there !
I second toy r us times square

sky

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 9:14 pm
manhattanmom wrote:

In my opinion, Toys R Us in Times Square is cooler. And the ferris wheel is fun for adults and kids!

Don't go there this time of year. We once did and could not mopve because of the crush of people. It was insane and not much fun. The line for the ferris wheel was a few hours. Save it for a non-holiday time

STovah

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 9:56 am
Keep in mind that on weekdays, there is no way to legally park on the street near the library - you'll need to park in a garage which is pretty pricey in midtown.

skcomputer

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 2:52 pm
For parking, check out http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php - we found it very helpful.

cookiemilk

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 6:23 pm
thank you so much everyone. We just came home and had a wonderful time! We started in midtown where we parked for about 20.00 for 3 hours. Then we walked to the Empire State Building and went up to the observation tower. 4 of us paid for around 70.00 in total. It was a beautiful day, clear veiws, and my kids are old enough to find it all quite fascinating. We then walked over to the big library and gazed at the beautiful frescos and marble engraved walls and pillars. then we went down into the basement to the childrens section to read and relax. We were home by 3:30 and the kids ate lunch in the car, saving me the restaurant hassle. The whole trip which cost under 100.00 was enjoyed by all! Thanks again for being my support.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries