Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How crazy it is to drive to Florida?

momoswyf

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 4:46 am
My husband and I would like to take the family on vacation to Miami. We are thinking about renting a car and driving down from Baltimore--a 17 hour drive because flying with 2 kids and so much stuff will be very hard. What do you guys think? How crazy it is to think that our 2 year old and 7 month old will cooperate with all that driving. We have from motzei shabbos to the following sunday to do it. We were thinking about leaving motzei shabbos, driving thru the nite then stopping in savanna, ga for shacharis, resting, and driving some more. I think the kids will be okay during the nite, but during the day they will be going crazy. Would flying will all our stuff be better? The costs would be around equal. Thanks.

Abi Meleibt

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 4:59 am
I've done it a few times with all my kids. It is really doable. Just bring a lot of food, snacks and entertainments for your kids. If you have a DVD player for your 2 yr old, it might help. Try to do the bulk of the driving at night, when the kids are asleep and there's no traffic. And take it as it comes, don't stress about the time to arrive, just stop when needed...

lizard8

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 6:37 am
My parents did it with 7 kids and from a further city! You have to know your kids but its definitely doable.

clowny

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 7:00 am
I have never done it, but always wanted to but for some reason it didnt work out. Take your time, dont hurry and stop whenever needed. It could be a lot of fun if the kids cooperate. And like Mom2ZYCS said try doing most of the driving at night so the kids are sleeping. I Hope one day it will work out for me as well.

Enjoy it and have a lot of fun!

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 7:19 am
btdt - make it an adventure and stop at a hotel for a really good rest and then continue ... see if you can find some activity along the way

pack coolers - have crackers and peanut butter and things that do not spoil ...

make a lot of pit stops ...

say hi to goofey for me Mr. Green

kitov

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 7:27 am
Personally, I think with younger kids it is definitely easier to drive down straight from your home to your destination.
Consider the plane.
You have to pack the cat only to unpack it at the airport, not curbside, shlep to the counter, retrieve upon arrival, repack the car in FL, and unpack at hotel, ,all the while with whiny kids!
Then you need to CATCH a flight! You can't miss the plane bec 4 year old Duddy decided to run back for his favorite truck and he can't find it and he in all his stubbornness will NOT leave without it!
The hours idling at the airport, since you need to arrive early, the confinement on the plane which you have no control over, and their disturbing the other older snow birds who are flying south precisely to get away form kids like yours....

With a car, you pack the car ONCE, and unpack it ONCE.
You leave when YOU and the kids are ready.
You stop when it is convenient for them
You can entertain them (and shush them) at your discretion, no feeling bad for others.
And you can turn it into an adventure all on its own!

momoswyf

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:36 am
Thanks guys for getting me really excited. Kitov, you are hysterical--totally what I was envisioning the flight to be!
Now I just have to figure out all the details. I will let you know how it turned out.

boruchhashem

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:41 am
We have done it twice from NY. Takes a little longer to drive down from here. One time we had two kids and the second time 4. We once took the straighter yet boring way and the other time the longer yet more scenic way. Survived both times b'h. As long as you include the drive as part of the enjoyment it will be ok. When it becomes a race against time to get there, it is quite stressful. Hatzlocho. Enjoy.

catonmylap

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 8:59 pm
My parents used to do it every year with us, and until a certain point twice a year.

I have fond memories of that drive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics