Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Practical suggestions for EEG, please

GAMZu

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 11:01 pm
My baby will be getting a 24 hour ambulatory EEG this week.
I have to take her on public transportation, in a front carrier. Just a few questions, for those that have done this. Will I need some extra space to carry home the equipment? Is it too big or heavy to keep in the carrier with her?
What about a hat? Do I need to dress her in a looser hat that day? Use just a hood?
Also, what kinds of activities are okay? Will she be able to have physical therapy with the equipment on her? I need to know before I go because I will either cancel or reschedule the PT in advance. Thanks, all!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 8:39 am
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but dh was in hospital with an eeg that was on for 48 hours or more. it was glued to his head, and he probably could have worn a regular hat-all the wires were twisted together in a braid-so they werent all over the place. If its the same kind of thing for your dd, pt should be ok-unless the equipment ties her down to one spot-which I kinda doubt will be the case.

Why dont you call up the office where they will be putting on the eeg and ask them these questions?

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:10 am
Thanks. I did speak to them, but the person who manages calls doesn't know exactly. She told me I can put the baby in the carrier, but in a practical sense, where do I put the backpack?

My PT question is more like, will the wires be in danger of being displaced?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:40 am
Quote:
You may do your normal activities including eating and sleeping before, during and after the test, except for showering. Do not shower with this equipment on. On the day of the test, please take your medications as you normally take them. This test is painless and there is no radiation involved. Wear comfortable clothing. A button down shirt is required (this prevents having to pull clothing up over the electrodes)

found this-if its any help. And since they do this on a regular basis, they will know how to help u manage it all.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:47 am
I don't think you have to worry about the wires coming off. They use a very strong glue to stick them on. Even after they get them all off, it's very difficult to wash all the glue off of the scalp. The procedure may look scary, but it's not really. It is painless. It will probably be harder for you than for her, because you have to deal with not getting the wires tangled and stuff. I hope all goes well.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:41 am
Quote:
A button down shirt is required (this prevents having to pull clothing up over the electrodes)

Hey, I never would've thought of that! Thanks. I'm glad I asked. Smile
She has wide necked onesies, so I guess I can slip it off over her legs.

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to the glue scraping!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics