Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Bubby-sitting

amother

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 1:34 am
I have been asked to bubby-sit 2 days next week for 7 hrs each day.

I have no idea what to do while im there....she's like 75 abt. I met her and she didnt say anything. her daughter says that she usually just follows her from room to room and talks while she does things. she said we cud play games like bingo or read to her, etc.

I feel bad doing this bc im really not that great with older ppl. I'm going in clueless.

bubby

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 7:33 am
So don't do it! Nothing wrong with saying no can do....unless you already made a commitment.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 7:38 am
75 year olds can be young and vital. My FIL still rides a motorcycle and sails his boat and he's older than that. Others can be seriously lacking in their mental and physical capabilities. Determine where this woman is at (one clue: she didn't say anything and she just follows people around) and plan your activities around that. You can sit and read a book and read aloud to her if you feel you must "do" something for her. You can turn on the radio and both listen to whatever. You can take out her photo albums and try and get her to focus on that. You can prepare breakfast/lunch/whatever and have her in the kitchen with you while you work and talk.
See how demanding she is. She may be docile and calm and not need anything from you. Find out her bathrooming needs. Ask her if she wants to straighten her drawers.
She may doze off every so often.
Don't be scared. It may be a bit boring, but it's an easy way to make a few $$$.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 4:41 pm
bubby wrote:
So don't do it! Nothing wrong with saying no can do....unless you already made a commitment.

I made the commitment and we need the money.

tamiri-thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:31 pm
What's wrong with learning as you go? I'm sure the older woman just needs a companion.

PAMOM

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:42 pm
Thinking about my own mom here--ask the daughter what her meal schedule is and what she likes to eat. Can the bubby tell you what she wants to eat? Does she remember when it's time to eat? As Tamiri said, find out her bathroom habits--does she need any help? You many want to stay close to teh bathroom even if you don't need to go in with her.
Ask about the family. Ask to hear family stories. My mother HATES card and board games but will tell you about our family for hours!
You'll be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics