Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Crossed eyes surgery?

bobeli

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 3:40 pm
my dd has an occasional crossing of the eye, she wore a patch for a few months but now she takes it of.
We went to one doctor and he advised surgery to correct the eye.
Other people suggested vision therapy or drops to dilate the pupil. Anyone had some experience with this?
Anyone with good or bad experience with the surgery?
Dr. recommendations in nyc welcome too
I don't want to do surgery if there are other ways but if I delay too long then surgery get more dificult.
please help

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 3:44 pm
I would try other ways first.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 3:56 pm
We tried the drops. They didn't work. Basically, if your kid is blond, the stronger drops will probably cause a rash, so they use weaker ones that don't do much. Ds has white blond hair.
I've used Dr. Steele's group and Dr. Campolatarro. Personally, I think Steele's group may be a little better, but both are good. Dr. Campolatarro did the surgery on ds.

SingALong

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:17 am
my DD had same thing, just more of a drifting eye than a cross eye. patch first at 1 year old, didnt work, did surgery.

now three years later I think she needs surgery again. her eye is drifting again, dr gave me the drops but she refuses and its a fight every day so I gave up, the dr said drops will probably not work anyways just to try them just in case to avoid surgery if possible but surgery will be the probable outcome. she is also starting to lose a little vision in that eye so we need to kind of decide like soon.

I also used dr steele. I like him a lot but now with 2nd time around surgery im a little upset I need to do it again. he explained to me though that to do is twice is very common, and its a diff muscle that he's going to tighten now not the same as last time...I'm still researching options.

I heard that there isn't much eveidence to back up vision therapy, that most ppl who go through vision therapy end up getting surgery anyways...but I could be wrong...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 4:20 am
I had the surgery done when I was 18 months old. It helped alot. I used a patch after that for a few years. I didnt have any problems (regarding the surgery).
I am sorry I doont know any doctors in your area, as I dont live in that area.
Good luck

amother

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 5:07 am
My DD has had eye surgery twice for correction of strabismus. The first at about age 3, then again at about 6. She still wears glasses to correct her vision, and the doctor explained that the surgery is really only cosmetic, and won't make much difference to her vision.

I am very happy with the results of the surgery, although I was upset to have to put her through it twice.
We don't live in NY, so can't help with doctors.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 5:31 am
I had the surgery done to me when I was about 12. abt 3 years later, it seemed that my eye was drifting again and I needed surgery again, but I didn't get it. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe b/c I was scared. (it is quite a scary thing, if anything goes wrong). and as another poster mentioned, it is only cosmetic.
good luck

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 9:37 am
For ds it wasn't just cosmetic. The eye drifted because it had a weak muscle, and that caused the vision to become weaker. His eyes weren't seeing together and we saw obvious signs of vision problems which have disappeared since the surgery.

ROCHELLE

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
My DD has had eye surgery twice for correction of strabismus. The first at about age 3, then again at about 6. She still wears glasses to correct her vision, and the doctor explained that the surgery is really only cosmetic, and won't make much difference to her vision.

I am very happy with the results of the surgery, although I was upset to have to put her through it twice.
We don't live in NY, so can't help with doctors.

My dd has strabismus too, she is still patching to see if it helps. I am trying to avoid surgery, but are you sure its only cosmetic? my dr. says it can get worse and cause problems later on.

campmommy

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 11:32 am
I would suggest you consult first with a develepmental optomotrist who specializes in eye therapy. They can do amazing things with therapy and possibly avoid surgery. Also, once you do the surgery, therapy probably won't help, so it's worth it to try this first. The only drawback is that it's expensive, but many, many people will tell you it's worth every penny (including myself, though we did it for a different problem, not strabismus). To find a practitioner near you, ask around and also google OCVD - that's the letters after a develepmental optomotrists name and you can search for a practitioner. Don't bother asking your opthamologist for a reccomendation, he'll tell you it's a waste of time, unfortunatley these two fields don't work together and are more in competition with each other.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 11:46 am
I recommend Dr. (richard?) Muchnick in NYC. He is supposed to be top of the line.
I currently use him for lazy eye, not cross eyes, and we are patching. He said surgery does not help for my sons condition.
My sister used him for cross-eye surgery and it was b'h very successful. He is not the type to push surgery if not necessary so I would recommend seeing him at least for a second opinion. Never do surgery before seeing two doctors.

bobeli

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:18 pm
thanks for all the posters, this is been very helpful.
please keep them coming

MetroMom

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:52 pm
When I was younger I went to vision therapy/vision training by a Dr. Wintraub. He has also helped quite a few people that I know. This is something that you have to go to every single week for about an hour or so and then he gives you 'homework' to be performed every single day. There is no question about the fact that it not only helped my lazy eye from 'turning' but it also allowed me to go from needing to wear glasses all day to only wearing them when I had to see really long distance or when I was really exhausted. I don't know if my situation was similar to your child's, but I know that he's supposed to be phenomenol. I just tried to find his number but it's been years. If you're interested then PM me and I'll really try to get his info for you. I think that vision training may possibly be a solid option for you...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 4:23 pm
I have severe strabismus and had 4 corrective surgeries. Plus I wore a patch for years. B"H they were very successful and I look and can see much better than when I was a toddler. I used Dr. Alan Wesley from New York Eye and Ear, though he has since retired. He seriously is a wonderful doctor and did amazing things for me. He took a very cautious approach, which is why I had four surgeries. He never wanted to do too much at a time. I would definitely look for those qualities in a doctor. I went for a consult for eye therapy once, but the therapist did not want to take up my case fearing that it would lead to double vision. Dr. Lisabeth Hall has taken over for Dr. Wesley. (I think they are related through marriage, though I'm not sure). I've seen her a few times, but never had surgery with her. I can PM you if you would like. Here is Dr. Hall's info.

http://www.nyee.edu/bios/l_hall.htm

athomemom

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 4:48 pm
I second the recommendation 4 Dr. muchnick. my sister and I both used him & were very happy...
Good Luck

amother

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 7:13 pm
3 of my DD's had the surgery
we used Dr. Steele

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 8:31 pm
kid's eyes are very time sensitive - they only get stronger while young ... do whatever it takes so they have optimum visual comfort ...

good luck !!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics