Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What name do Americans give to kuchen?

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:17 am
Eruv Shabbos I wrote an email to friend in the Us I was telling her that I made kuchen for Shabbos she did not know what I was talking about. What do Americans call kuchen?
Has anyone got a good receipe for kuchen? I usually do a yeast base pastry and fill it with either raisans, jam and cinnamin or put margarine, sugar and drinking chocalet in a pan warm it up and then spread it on and roll it all up. So any other suggestions would be nice.

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:33 am
sounds like kokosh cake to me

brooklyn

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:34 am
Kuchen
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Kuchen, the German word for "cake", is used as the name for several different types of sweet desserts or pastries. One "kuchen" is similar to a pie, with a thicker, cake-like crust and a sweet custard-based filling. Some kuchens can also be made by simply baking the custard filling. Another kuchen is a pastry in which a filling is rolled into a long spiral of dough and baked, and then sliced to serve. It is sometimes referred to as a nut roll.

Kuchen named deserts are presumeably handed down from those of German heritage and as such are often popular in many areas of German settlement in the United States, particularly North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota.

In 2000, a kuchen was designated the state dessert of South Dakota.

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:34 am
kuchen is yeast cake.
please share recipes! Smile

Tefila

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:38 am
Quote:
please share recipes!

Yes pelase and the simpler the better Very Happy

shopaholic

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 2:07 pm
Kuchen - yum. My mother is from England & when she came here to live 20+ years ago, she went into the bakery & asked for kuchen. The lady laughed & said, "Everything here is kuchen!" I don't know recipes, I just buy it when we go to England. DH loves a slice of it with margarine. He does the same to kokosh cake or babka here. It's the closest you can get.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen