Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
RSV

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 2:38 pm
my almost 7 month old has RSV and keeps getting coughing fits whee she cant get her breath and I can tell she is in pain. she will get 5 or 6 coughing fits over maybe a 10 mintue period and then be fine for hours.

The drs office (she was in yesterday and I have called them 2x since) says to wait it out, it takes a while to go away, but meanwhile my baby is in pain and cant stop coughing. What should I do?

overthehill

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 2:56 pm
She may be having difficulty breathing, hence the constant coughing. Alot of times, asthma acts the same way as RSV symptoms. Sometimes the airway is too constricted and you need a nebulizer or something like that with meds to open up the airway more. This is just my personal experience. I am not a medical professional!

aspring

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 3:01 pm
When my son had RSV also at 7 months the dr. gave us a nebulizer with albuteral it really helped him feel better.

Tech_mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 3:01 pm
Use saline (salt water) to irrigate her nose. Do it often and plenty of it (its harmless). It can help loosen any mucus that is stuck (even lower than the actual nasal passage). When she coughs, don't be scared to pat her hard on her back. This also helps loosen anything that might obstruct her airways causing her to cough. Let her sleep propped up.

I have heard of so many cases of RSV recently. My daughter had RSV at 3 weeks and was hospitalized for 5 days when she turned blue and was dehydrated. Your child should be fine by just "waiting it out" as the Dr. told you as she is past the age of 6 months. But I do feel for you. B"EH this will pass without incident.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 3:18 pm
We were at the drs yesterday and they said her lungs sounded fine, so they didnt give us a nebulizer (they gave one to my sister for her DD last wk- but she is 7 wks, not 7 months)

ive been using saline in her nose ans suctioning, and keeping her head elevated and helping her/patting her through the coughing fits.

my poor baby

e1234

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 3:23 pm
my daughter had rsv at 7 weeks and we ended up going to the hosptial on shabbos when she had breathing difficulty and she needed oxygen for a few days.

e1234

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 3:24 pm
also I remember once we went home something that really helped was putting the shower on really hot and sitting with her in the bathroom in the steam and banging her back to get all the coughing out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics