Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Baking for Diabetics WITHOUT artificial sweeteners
1  2  Next

EvenI

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 3:25 am
I want to bake something for my diabetic ILs, but I want it to be something that we can also eat, and we do not eat artificial sweeteners. I would perhaps consider using stevia, although I don't know where to get it. What I am wondering about is that I read in the mishpacha a while ago that some research was done that proved that dates had no effect on blood sugar levels. So, I was wondering if I could bake something with date syrup as the sweetener. Does anyone know anything about this research and where I could find more info, since my ILs will not touch it if they don't know anything about this. They will just say that dates contain too much natural sugars.

Aside from the date syrup idea, does anyone have any other ideas or experience or specific recipes?

It could be a cake, a pie, cookies, a tart, any dessert or sweet snack.

Marion

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 3:27 am
Hopefully Freidasima will see this...she's really good with this kind of thing.

punchike

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 4:38 am
agave nectar doesnt affect glycemic levels. it tastes great too. you can get it in most kosher stores, or in a health food store. works as great substitute for sugar or honey. you can prob find articles ant it online.

EvenI

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 4:44 am
Thanks. Actually, I read some scary stuff about agave nectar. I forgot the details. I only remember that I decided not to use it. It is marketed as a "natural" product, but it is not naturally occurring. The problem was something about the process used to produce it.

hila

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 5:06 am
Try baked apples - filled with raisins and cinnamon.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 5:13 am
I vote for stevia...

otherwise fructose.

mandksima

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 5:17 am
If you do use date syrup be careful to buy the kind with no added sugar. I bought the wrong kind once and was annoyed to see that all brands aren't sugarless. I have no idea if diabetics can use it and I wouldn't use too much stevia or agave syrup as they might be ok in moderation but the amount for a cake or dessert would be a lot.

I was wondering what you saw negative about the agave syrup as the only thing I could find was that it is not considered a raw food because of it being processed. Once you bake with it though, it doesn't matter if it was once raw.

EvenI

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 6:44 am
hila wrote:

They're very nice, but not actually the sort of thing I need to try to make. I need to make something like a cake or cookies or maybe a pie.

londoner

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 7:48 am
Anything sweet will raise blood sugar just some more slowly than others. Generally the less refined the food the less of an effect it has. So actual dates will be better than a date syrup.

One recipe I like is for flapjacks.

Ingredients
2 - 3 small bananas
1 cup chopped dates
2 cups oats
1/3 cup veg oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence Handy Hint
Method
Mash the bananas in a large bowl.
Add the dates and oil to the bananas and mix together.
Stir in the oats and the vanilla essence and
leave for 5 mins for the oats to absorb the oil.
Spoon the mixture into a well greased baking tray and bake at gas mark 4 for about 25 mins.
Cut into squares whilst warm.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 7:51 am
punchike wrote:
agave nectar doesnt affect glycemic levels.

I am pretty sure it does - just much less so then sugar.

gemini90

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 7:12 pm
I bake sugar free stuff for my husband the one recipe he loves is a sugarfree pudding dessert

1 stick margarine
1 cup flour
sugar free chocolate chips

mix this together and press down into a 9" square pan and bake for about half an hour

1 box sugarfree vanilla pudding
1 box sugarfree chocolate pudding

flollow directions on back (if u want to make it pareve use soy milk) spread the pudding mix on top of the crust

Then whip up a small hadar whip topping and spread it on the pudding mix. Sprinkle the top with some more sugar free chocolate chips.

Put it in the fridge to set and enjoy!

abismommy

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 8:12 pm
If your IL's are not eating carbs or very little carbs, like many people with blood sugar problems, baking is not worth the patchke IMHO. Flour is sometimes a big no-no.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 8:15 pm
hila wrote:

diabetics cant always have fruit

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 8:16 pm
you can use ground almonds instead of flour

miri123

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 8:24 pm
xylitol, works like sugar spoon to spoon, taste like sugar, looks like sugar.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:36 am
Chocoholic wrote:
I vote for stevia...

otherwise fructose.

I recently saw a 90 minute movie about the evils of fructose. (It was on Mercola's site but it's from Youtube). That stuff is seriously bad for you. If you want I can dig up the link to the video.

EvenI

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:58 am
abismommy wrote:
If your IL's are not eating carbs or very little carbs, like many people with blood sugar problems, baking is not worth the patchke IMHO. Flour is sometimes a big no-no.

Before I asked this question, I was already very familiar with what my ILs eat and don't eat, which is not necessarily founded on good advice, and not so very low in carbs. If they didn't eat flour, I wouldn't have been trying to find something to make with flour.

The fact is that they actually eat all of those cakes and cookies that are marketed to diabetics and are full of white flour and sweetened with artificial sweeteners. So, they probably get a fast rise in glucose from the white flour and all the fun lovely health risks associated with artificial sweeteners.When they eat bread, they usually eat white bread. They also eat potatoes quite a lot, although potatoes, as far as I understand, have a crazy high glycemic index.

Whatever I would make would probably be better than what they already use themselves, if only because I use whole grains, such as whole spelt flour and oats, and I often include cinnamon, which helps control blood sugar. The question was just about ways of sweetening. I am not going to be able to convert them to a different basic approach to diet, but I think they would enjoy something home baked.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 12:09 pm
londoner wrote:
Anything sweet will raise blood sugar just some more slowly than others. Generally the less refined the food the less of an effect it has. So actual dates will be better than a date syrup.

One recipe I like is for flapjacks.

Ingredients
2 - 3 small bananas
1 cup chopped dates
2 cups oats
1/3 cup veg oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence Handy Hint
Method
Mash the bananas in a large bowl.
Add the dates and oil to the bananas and mix together.
Stir in the oats and the vanilla essence and
leave for 5 mins for the oats to absorb the oil.
Spoon the mixture into a well greased baking tray and bake at gas mark 4 for about 25 mins.
Cut into squares whilst warm.

That sounds like something my fil would love (although who knows...) I'm going to make some for him and will let you know what he thinks. Thanks!

freidasima

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 12:12 pm
Only saw this now...my grandfather was diabetic and except for using saccharine in his coffee we had nothing sweet in the house when I was a kid. He was allowed one apple a day and that was it!

There WAS no cake or cookies or baked goods, as if you aren't going to use artificial sweetner, you are stuck. None of the other stuff is healthy either. Fructose or anything with the "ose" at the end is not good for diabetics (fructose, sucrose, etc.) it's all the same junk for them. Stevia, agave, date silan, none of it is good for them.

They also shouldn't have refined grains etc.

So...where does that leave you?
With a non sweet dessert that just gives them something with taste to chew on.
Here's a really wierd recipie - I warn you that it isn't sweet but as it contains the apple of the day, as my grandfather used to say, that's your "sweet".

It's healthy. My kids say that to laugh at me as I make this for us (dh and myself) occasionally when I want something really dietetic.

Here goes. Don't laugh.

Separate six eggs. Beat whites and take three yolks and fold them in to the "snow". Take six T buckwheat flour and 1 T baking powder and gently fold it in. For those diabetics allowed a tiny drop of sugar, beat the whites with a teaspoon of sugar. Otherwise do it without.

Bake in a greased pan at 350 for 25-30 min.
Take 1 cup soy milk and 1 cup water. bring to the boil. Meanwhile take 2 heaping T cornstarch. This is the stage that those people using sucaryl or liquid artificial sweetner add some to the liquid being boiled. Anyhow melt the cornstarch in half a cup of soy milik. Add some vanilla flavoring. Can be real, even if alcohol based as it will boil out (diabetics shouldn't have alcohol). When the soymilk and water mixture reaches a boil dump in the cornstarch and soymilk mixture and it thickens immediately. Boil and stir for two minutes until it is a uniform puddinglike consistency.

Take off the fire and cool. When cooler pour on top of the buckwheat cake.
Take an apple, peel and cut into thin slices. brush with lemon juice to keep from turning brown and arrange on top of the pudding layer.

Chill. It's more palatable cold.
Expect the buckwheat layer to taste salty, the pudding layer to taste bland vanilla and have the consistency of pudding and the apple above gives it a lemony apple taste.

If you want to use artificial sweetner, then use 1 t liquid in the pudding, makes a difference. If you are allowed a tiny bit of sugar, use 1 t (that's teaspoon, not tablespoon) in the snow that you beat up from the egg whites.

And believe me, if someone is on a totally natural gluten free and diabetic diet, after a month or two unless they are cheating somewhere, this will be a delicacy for them. Don't ask why and if you don't need to be on such a diet. Say Boruch Hashem morning and evening.

EvenI

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 12:29 pm
Oh dear. I am too tired to be reading this. FS, I found that sort of entertaining and exhausting, with all those stages. I don't see myself attempting it. My ILs are absolutely not on the diet that your grandfather was on. And they don't eat raw eggs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins