Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
7 year old boy activities
1  2  Next

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 9:20 pm
What does your 7 year old boy like to do? Which activities, games, toys? Preferably not electronic.

I need to grow my son up a bit. LOL

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 10:41 pm
I don't know what you mean by "grow my son up"

Is he the oldest or only boy and playing babyish or girlish games with his siblings, and you're worried you need to help him be more boyish?

Do you mean activities at home or organized outside activities?

Anyway, my son (6.5) enjoys baseball, soccer, basketball, hockey, coloring, mazes, wordfinds, reading, puzzles, writing.

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:36 am
I prefer not to go into detail.

I'm simply looking for more mature activities for my son. Sports is great and we do as much as we can but we're kind of limited in the winter.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:40 am
Do you have any limitations on what type of toys can be around because of younger children?
The boys that age I have experience with would spend hours building things with tiny pieces -- legos and knex and playmobil, etc...but I'm not quite sure if that's what you're looking for Smile

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:55 am
Those are good. Smile I'm not worried about my babies choking on little pieces. He does like to build although he's only done Lego so far. Maybe it's time to get him some other stuff.

So, so far, I need to get him fun page activities, building sets, more books, and play more sports.

How about board games? I actually once did a thread on this. Hope I can find it.

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:25 am
My almost (in a week Smile ) 7 year old son loves board games and card games. Uno. Scrabble Slam, Connect 4 and Double Connect 4. Monopoly, sometimes he'll even play Memory.

He also loves puzzles like sudoku, word finds, crossword puzzles. He has a few sudoku books that I got him at the dollar store. You can also print them online - I think sudokuonline.com has a section for kids. I look on chinuch.org for word finds and crossword puzzles.

My DS really likes "office" type of activities. I'll give him a big stack of paper, a three hole punch and a binder, and he'll make his own "book." Stapler and tape are also good. And highlighters and maybe a manila folder or two. He usually writes things in it that he's learning at school, or whatever is on his mind that is important LOL.

Another thing that my older kids did recently is make packets of stuff to send to grandparents, great grandparents. Depending on their abilities, they wrote letters, drew pictures, made cards. Then addressed the envelopes (from a list I gave them), put on stamps. I think writing to grandparents (or making pictures for them) is a great chesed that a child of this age can really appreciate.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 12:16 pm
Board games are good if he has someone to play them with; inviting friends if you are keen on having others over for playdates (Tongue Out) might help him transition into older boy activities as he'll have peers, but otherwise, if you get him something on his level, his younger brothers probably would be lost interacting with him, so the onus would probably fall on you to play with him. Only you can know if you have the time for that. We usually save games that need to be played with an adult for Shabbos when we have more time...

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 1:08 pm
You win the perceptiveness award, HY. Smile

Thank you, Meema. Your post was helpful as well.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 1:16 pm
My 7 year old likes to build stuff with clics.
He really enjoys reading books (but of course we have to keep buying because the ones he already read aren't interesting anymore) & playing board games. Checkers is his favorite.
Crafts ideas he also enjoys.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 2:18 pm
Sports ARE great, and they're real community-building activities for boys. Boys also often use sports lingo in their conversations, so its important for him to have a basic understanding. I don't know where you live, but if you're in the US, look for Sunday leagues at the local JCC. Esp at that age, boys are also generally really open to kids with a variety of backgrounds and abilities.

Seven year old boys also love building toys of all kinds -- lego, clics, Lincoln logs, k'nex. If you're worried about choking risks for younger kids, can you use playgates to block off an area for *the big boy* Cover the floor with an old sheet, and then pick it up, complete with pieces, when he's done,and place the pieces in a large plastic bin.

Board games are great. Try Rio Grande Games for some different and fun games. DS is older, but we have lots of Rio Grande games in addition to the *usual* (Monopoly, Battleship, Trouble, Sorry, Connect 4, Risk, Uno, etc) There's also Cadoo.

Don't know what the issue is, but also remember that kids grow and mature at their own rate. What may seem like a big deal now will likely be something you joke about -- or forget -- in 5 years.

Hope all is well with him.

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 2:55 pm
Thanks, Barbara.
I was kidding when I said I need to make him grow faster. Well, half-kidding.

I usually put down an old white baby blanket before spilling out the Lego. It's a great system because the billions of little pieces stay on it and it's a quick clean-up.

I'll check out the Rio Grande games.

And thanks, amother, for reminding me that it's time to pull out the checkers.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 3:44 pm
my ds (just turned 8 ) loves building stuff out of old cardboard and bits and peices. It's rather messy, though.

This is probably too young for him but my kids love the paper dolls from making friends website. there are even some biblical ones you can use for avraham, yaakov, rivka etc

Maybe he would enjoy doing simple origami? Again, something you can find instructions for on the web.

daisy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:53 pm
You've gotten some great suggestions. My son is 6 and he enjoys many of the above.

I agree with HY about the games, they are great, but he needs someone to play with (My son has an older sister and dh also plays with them. I am not so into it). The Rio Grande games are good and more sophisticated, Monopoly, Backgammon, and Chess are also favorites.

Like Meema said, give him lots of paper to write, cut, and create with. We have a book about making paper airplanes that ds likes. Other origami is also good.

Puzzles. This is good for us, because I like them too. You can get "educational" ones like maps of the world and the USA.

Can you get him to a pool? Ds likes his swimming lessons a lot.

Also, baking, cooking, science experiments, mosaic art.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 9:16 am
My son loves writing. He fills notebooks, seriously. You'd think his handwriting would improve. Rolling Eyes

I want to specifically encourage him to build/create on his own because he needs a self-confidence boost. So the origami, paper airplanes, etc., and building sets are great for that. I wish he had more free time. Sad

The board games are good because he'll be using them for playdates, but they need to not be Muktzah since just about the only playdate time he has is Shabbos.

He used to love puzzles but they bore him now. He doesn't have much patience for them.

I'd love to get him swimming lessons, but he told me straight out that after school he wants to come straight home and not go anywhere else. I'm hoping to do it next year.

He comes home around 4 (Sun- Thurs) and needs to be in bed by 7. Between dinner, homework, and shower/pajamas, I barely get a chance to do anything with him besides talk to him about his day. Confused

mommy24

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:05 pm
(Sorry if I repeat any ideas you already got)

My kids aged 5-9 love to play:

chess
checkers
chinese checker
clue
stratego
uno
cards game (war)
playmobil
clicks
little lego(not that much)
battleship
monopoly
yahtzee
trouble

Some of htese can be played with on Shabbos when your son has playdates.

I used to buy these boxed sets of wooden pieces that they would sand, glue together and then paint- to make boats, trains cars, etc. I got them in one of these crafts stores for $1 each and the kids loved to build their own creation.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:12 pm
Thank you, mommy24, that's helpful.

Can I ask where you bought Stratego? The stores here tell me they've stopped making it.

Thanks for the crafts idea also.

mommy24

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:23 pm
My stratego is old, I actually have to get a new one stickers have come off. They definately sell it in Target, at least the one I go to, and on their online store.

micki

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 9:08 pm
knex
chess
lincoln logs
science things

do you have any older cousins that you can have come and be with him- this way he is witha n older boy more?

red sea

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 9:21 pm
Gamewright makes really great games for that age

games

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 1:01 pm
I'll look at Target, thanks, mommy24.

Micki, we have most of those toys, I'm going on a shopping spree ( Confused ) for the others and for science experiments. There are so many science kits, I don't know which to choose. I want to buy all of them! Rolling Eyes

There are no older boy cousins in town. I wish.

Red Sea, can you recommend the games you liked from there? Preferably with no treife animals.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children