Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
SCRAPBOOKING

Mamish Mama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:46 am
I am in the very very beginning stages of dabbling in scrapbooking. However, before I go out and spend a fortune on stickers, sicciors, paper, glue, yada yada yada, I was wondering if digital scrapbooking would be more cost effective as well and time efficient.

I am wondering if any of you ladies do digital scrapbooking or regular scrapbooking and can give me a quick education on which way might we the better way to go.

TIA

happyone

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:59 am
I love digital scrapbooking. It's cheaper, you have loads of options and you don't have to be that creative to come up with something beautiful. I find with regular scrapbooking, you need more ideas - but it's probably more fun.

Mamish Mama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 11:46 am
Thanks happyone.

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. Regular scrapbooking is probably not only more fun, but more expensive and much much more time consuming with all the cutting and pasting, measuring, matting, etc. I did 1 page last night (front and back). I sat down at 11 ish and the next time I looked up it was 1:45 am Speechless Time flew by and I didn't even get that fancy schmancy!

What program do you use for editing and layouts?

TY

sarachana

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 11:58 am
crbak wrote:
Thanks happyone.

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. Regular scrapbooking is probably not only more fun, but more expensive and much much more time consuming with all the cutting and pasting, measuring, matting, etc. I did 1 page last night (front and back). I sat down at 11 ish and the next time I looked up it was 1:45 am Speechless Time flew by and I didn't even get that fancy schmancy!

What program do you use for editing and layouts?

TY

I am a full time scrapbooker and I have everything up-to-date scrapbooked, and I have done digital as well and here are my thoughts,

reg scrapbooking does not have to be so expensive. Its a one time investement with cutter and all, except for the album, and paper etc... I dont buy that many stickers if any at all, I save "scraps" and make my own designs etc.

Digital is nice, and easier, BUT, once you are finished making you book you then go to buy it and its NOT SO CHEAP, as a result I still have books that I have not purchased including my wedding album...we are talking 70-80 dollars a book (because I have way more pages than an average 40 page book)....

so I opt for the reg way, I buy the photos, and buy a new album once a year, and only print the picts that I love, not every single one, and I scrapbook away and people, esspecially my kids, love to look at these books. Hope that helps...

Mamish Mama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 12:10 pm
Thanks sarachana.

When you digital scrapbook, what program do you use?

Also, would it be as expensive if you printed the pages from your home computer? That is what I was thinking to do. Also, maybe you ordered your completed page from walmart.com, or a site similart to that, then you can just put it in a sleeve of a cheaper album??

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:22 pm
I do digital scrapbooking professionally. I create albums for people with their photos (choson or kallah albums, baby albums, upsherin etc...) My opinion is as follows:

Regular scrapbooking is expensive. Especially if you want to have cool designs. It is time consuming and you need the physical space for all the stuff as well as where to create it (desk, table that is not within children's reach). It also doesn't last forever, and after a while starts to fall apart (be it 10 or 20 years).

Digital scrapbooking - you have the expense of a good program, if you really want to do detailed stuff a Wacom Tablet is good to have as well. Buying kits is also expensive, but you can reuse every element/background etc... as many times as you'd like. I don't think it's a very big plus when you're scrapping for yourself only because you don't want to reuse the stuff in too many layouts, whereas if you are scrapping for people, you can reuse it a thousand times and it will still be worth it.

If you have carpal tunnel (or suspect you are getting it), it is hard to do digital scrapbooking as you use the mouse a lot.

Oh, and one more point - digital scrapbooking and graphic art are not the same thing at all. I've had many graphic artists email me asking about scrapbooking and saying they're surprised they have no clue how to do it. I have no idea how to do graphic art at all.

sarachana

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:43 pm
crbak wrote:
Thanks sarachana.

When you digital scrapbook, what program do you use?

Also, would it be as expensive if you printed the pages from your home computer? That is what I was thinking to do. Also, maybe you ordered your completed page from walmart.com, or a site similart to that, then you can just put it in a sleeve of a cheaper album??

I use picaboo because its free to download then you upload the book and buy it. There are millions of page backgrounds to choose from as well with all colors and themes etc.

I dont know anything about printing from your own printer at home or from walmart.com etc. sorry....

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 12:39 am
I'm actually a graphic artist who did both type of scrapbooking, there was even a few threads about digital scrapbooking here that I participated in.

I use Photoshop because I had it already but a lot of digital scrapbookers use Photoshop Elements, a scaled down version of the program. you can download a 30 day trial from adobe.com to check it out. I also use a lot of free stuff that different designers in the digi scrapbooking comunity distribute on their blogs.

for me the pros overpower the cons... no visible mess, cleanup is easy and I'm not hampered by my inability to cut a straight line or to write neatly....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics