Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When is a baby sick enough to warrant a doc's visit?

Seraph

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 11:57 am
My baby has a fever- dunno how high bec I can't find my thermometer, is very tired and kvetchy and is just sleeping and sleeping, is congested, is coughing, just threw up from coughing.
When do I know its just a bad cold, and when do I know that it warrants a doc's visit? We have an emergency doc locally available in an hour- does this seem like a good enough reason to go or should I wait for tomorrow?

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 11:58 am
How is he eating?

Seraph

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:26 pm
He just wants to suck. He is sleeping all the time and isnt eating as frequently. He wants to just suck, so doesnt suck strongly, just weakly and is saitisfied with a pacifier. His diaper is drier than usual. He's just reminding me how uriel was when he was so sick that he ended up in the hospital with RSV on oxygen and steroids. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if shmaya had rsv as well... ch'v.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:33 pm
To me it would depend on: temp, how much liquid he's taking in (and how wet diapers are), and his behavior (sleeping well? generally comfortable? very unhappy?).
If all three are way off normal, I'd go to the dr.

Last edited by gryp on Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:33 pm
Seraph wrote:
He just wants to suck. He is sleeping all the time and isnt eating as frequently. He wants to just suck, so doesnt suck strongly, just weakly and is saitisfied with a pacifier. His diaper is drier than usual. He's just reminding me how uriel was when he was so sick that he ended up in the hospital with RSV on oxygen and steroids. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if shmaya had rsv as well... ch'v.

I struggle with this also.

We brought DS#1 in because he was complaining of a stomach ache and had a slight fever. It turned out to be strep. We had the doc check DS#2 just because he is a baby and had a slight cold. His only other symptom was trying to nurse all night long. Doc looked in his ears and said "wow. Bad double ear I nfection."

Its so hard to know. I would go in I think.

Zus

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:36 pm
By the sound of it, I would take him to the doctor now.

Seraph

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:46 pm
GR wrote:
To me it would depend on: temp, how much liquid he's taking in (and how wet diaper are), and his behavior (sleeping well? generally comfortable? very unhappy?).
I don't know how much liquid he's taking in. He doesnt seem dehydrated per se, but I wouldnt be surprised if his oxygen levels were very low.
He's not sleeping wlel at all. He's only sleeping if I'm constantly rocking him- I've been needing to constantly rock him, even in his sleep, since yesterday evening. His fever was 103.9, but I just gave him tylenol. He's very unhappy...

Seraph

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:47 pm
The doc is in at 8 pm. So you think I should take him?

Zus

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:49 pm
Yeah.

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:49 pm
103.9 is quite a fever. I would take him in if I were you.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:53 pm
I dont really understand why you seem to be so hesitant to take him to a doctor if he isnt well. what have you to lose??

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:53 pm
Seraph wrote:
GR wrote:
To me it would depend on: temp, how much liquid he's taking in (and how wet diaper are), and his behavior (sleeping well? generally comfortable? very unhappy?).
I don't know how much liquid he's taking in. He doesnt seem dehydrated per se, but I wouldnt be surprised if his oxygen levels were very low.
He's not sleeping wlel at all. He's only sleeping if I'm constantly rocking him- I've been needing to constantly rock him, even in his sleep, since yesterday evening. His fever was 103.9, but I just gave him tylenol. He's very unhappy...

I'd take him in.

Seraph

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 1:02 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
I dont really understand why you seem to be so hesitant to take him to a doctor if he isnt well. what have you to lose??
I'm not hesitant. Doc only comes in now anyhow. I just wanted to know if I was neglectful for not bringing him until now.
Keep in mind, it is 8 pm, and this is an after hours visit.

MiamiMommy

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 1:13 pm
Take him in. That's a hight temp!

momtomany

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 1:23 pm
any high fever in an infant should be checked out.
high is over 102.
hopefully it'll be nothing serious, but if it something serious a baby cant tell you, and you dont have much leeway time with an infant to wait and see.
he could get very bad very fast.
I just read a story where a mother heard a story about a high fever in a baby that convinced her when her baby had a fever to take him to be checked even though she thought he was for sure fine.
HER SON WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR DAYS. I DONT REMEMBER WHAT IT (sorry for caps) was but they did a lot of testing, and he was on antibiotics. I think in the end it was group B strep from the birth. and it could have been fatal if not treated on time.

so he should be checked.

and I am not one of those who runs to the dr. for every little thing.

e1234

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 1:31 pm
I would also check it out

realeez

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 1:42 pm
I would definitely go - especially with fever. My baby is about a month younger than yours with a phlegmy cough but BH no fever, and I just came back from the dr since I wanted him to listen to her chest. BH at this point, she just needs a vaporizer and saline solution in her nose but he gave me what to look out for in case it turns into bronchiolitis and fever was one of the things to call right away.

baba

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 3:58 pm
When I'm not sure and I'm worried, I call. I figure calling is much faster and easier and the doc can then decide if he thinks it's neccessary or not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics