Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 10:00 pm
Dont Do it I lived in Detroit and hated every second of it. Thnk Gd we arent there any more. The schools are ok at best. There is nothing to do no restraunts. Everyone in that city seems to be very cliquey. I am an outgoing person by nature and I had 0 friends. I have never felt so insecure about myself as I did while we lived there.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
Dont Do it I lived in Detroit and hated every second of it. Thnk Gd we arent there any more. The schools are ok at best. There is nothing to do no restraunts. Everyone in that city seems to be very cliquey. I am an outgoing person by nature and I had 0 friends. I have never felt so insecure about myself as I did while we lived there.

Do you know that there is such a thing as saying lashon hara about a place? We're glad you aren't here anymore. Detroit is much nicer without obnoxious people like you. Please don't ever come back. Stay in NY which is 1M times more cliquey than Detroit could ever be.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:

Funny. In our "ok" schools, I seem to have learned better English skills than you. Do you know how to spell 'restaurant'?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 10:20 pm
yes I do know how to spell restaurant. And who says I live in NY (even though I do). You are most probably one of the really nasty ppl who make living there unbearable. You cant take criticism about where u live.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
yes I do know how to spell restaurant. And who says I live in NY (even though I do). You are most probably one of the really nasty ppl who make living there unbearable. You cant take criticism about where u live.

Actually, I'm not cliquey at all. I rarely even get to see my friends. Why would anyone take non-constructive criticism from someone who publicly trashes their hometown? I'm sure I've never met you. I try to only spend time with nice people. Also, only NYers feel the need to trash Detroit. I can tell by your vehemence that you are a city girl.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:

that's totally lashon hara and not true ALL! just because you had a bad experience doesn' make it a bad place! I grew up there, moved away when I got married ( not so long ago....) There's the Southfield and oak park area where the majority of Jews live, maybe you can go visit for a few days and check out the diffrenet parts. Each one the has the nicest, sweetest ppl living there, and they are so open and accepting.That's the best part of it.
About schools, there's BY/bais yehudah and darchai Torah which is yeshivish and each one has it's diffrent benifits, and there's akiva which is more modern.
There's plenty of Shuls to choose from and im sure you'll be able to find one that you'll fit in, maybe Young Israel.
About being boring mentioned above, if your from NY and used to action and running around to diffrent places then yes it's hard to adjust. It's very quiet and no other Jewish community so close by. That is something to think about. I personally didn't mind it at all because that's how I grew up.
Again, it really is a great out of town place to live.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 11:02 pm
The last part of this thread makes me sad.

I live in Oak Park. It has its pros and cons. While I don't agree, I can understand why the PP feels as she does, and maybe it just came out very harsh. First of all, it is an out-of-town community and it is quieter here. There are a couple of restaurants here, but nothing fancy and exciting (well, since Milk and Honey closed down). While there are many, many nice people here, it can be difficult to make friends. I don't know if that has to do with Detroit, or just the fact that it's hard to make friends as an adult when everybody is busy with families and jobs. The schools here are OK. Obviously there is more selection in NY, but they are not bad. I'm content here, but I don't have big social requirements. I have a relative who lived here briefly and felt the same way as the PP, but she is also originally from Brooklyn.

I do think that overall Detroit's a nice place to live as long as you have the right expectations. It's great if you are looking for a small to medium frum community with a lower cost of living and less materialism.

Let's leave out the accusations and return to the OP (no pun intended)

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 11:05 pm
There is too a restaurant here. In the Plaza. Which is apparently now owned by a frum guy from Montreal. The restaurant is run by Meyer Cohen. Good steak!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 12:13 am
Some pros and cons:
con: quiet,( catatonic, to newcomers from the east) Can't seem to support a restaurant. When I first moved here, I asked my husband if they put tranquilizers in the water! But you get used to the laid-back-ness, and get to like it.

pro:pretty accepting, not judgmental in regards to frumkeit and other things. Some holier- than-thou's, but we get along with them, too.

pro: not materialistic, compared to most places, even the teenagers

pro: friendly, welcoming, including the schoolkids

con: clique-y. "but you just said..." There's a strong good ol' boy net work , but lots of great people outside of it, to, especially lately.

pro: the schools, which have their own pros and cons, seem to value and accommodate each kid

pro: nice, affordable, safe housing

con: no jobs

Detroit is the last frontier: the farthest west city that you can still drive east in one (grueling) day (11 hours)

Good Luck!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 10:52 am
this thread has more info
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....troit

amother

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:04 am
New amother here:
Talk to Rabbi Orlowek. He loves Detroit! Another major mechanech, involved in a number of seminaries has good feelings for Detroit products. I don't know exactly how the schools compare but the kids get into the best seminaries and yeshivos, and offer a LOT as far as hashkafa goes. There's a lot of sanity here.

I have to admit that I might have had an easier time, coming with a chevra some years back (kollel) but there's a lot of community feel for the "younger" crowd, a junior Neshei thing going on for 30 somethings and below, shuls geared to that demographic - Ahavas Olam and Aish Kodesh (aka Dovid ben Nochum). And each block tends to have a family feel.

I'm sorry the earlier poster has the feelings she does. I guess I have different needs in a community. I don't know when the last time we ate out was but it wasn't for lack of (ok, limited, but still) choices. Things are happening here, but maybe at too slow a pace for some.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating