Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Four year old correcting

imab

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 3:40 pm
Hi,
My four year old has a habit that she corrects me. For example I will say "DD put your keppe down" and she'll say "Ima its not a keppe its a head." So she is right its called a head but my mother used to say keppe (is it yiddish???) and the issue of right or wrong isn't really the point. Occassionally I will say something and she will hear me wrong and correct me, or she will correct me because she doesn't know the word etc. On one hand I want her to speak correctly and to think on the other hand I don't like how she corrects me. I don't want to stifle her, but I want to send her the message that kibbud av v'em is important!

Any tips

Ruchel

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 3:42 pm
My dd corrects me when I speak baby. LOL.

Tell your dd it's not a mistake, it's another language!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 6:57 pm
does he or she correct adults, too ? I would find that obnoxious.

4ofus

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 8:56 pm
I don't think that she's correcting you at this age, it's that she is still learning so many new things and she just doesn't know that it's not respectful to correct her parents. You should tell her in a gentle way after she does this that instead of correcting you by saying ("it's not a keppe, it's a head"), she should ask you (" ima, I thought it's a head not a keppe, which one is it?") or something like that.

4ofus

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 8:57 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
does he or she correct adults, too ? I would find that obnoxious.

How is that a tip? Scratching Head

bnm

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 9:34 pm
kup is yiddish, keppy/keppala is yiddish kiddy talk.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 1:45 am
DD (3.5) does this to. We speak English at home or try to at least. If I use an English word, she'll "correct" me to the Hebrew one. When I tell her it's "shoes" in English and "na'alayim" in Ivrit she sometimes responds in a singsongy "lo nachon" (not correct). I'm finding it more and more obnoxious but also at a loss as to how to get through this concept to her
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers