Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Dd doesn't follow directions in school

SingALong

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 8:15 am
So my dd age 5 1/2 is in primary, and her teachers noticed that she isn't following directions well. Or does things slower than peers. However, she's bright, actively participates in lessons, knows info and homework perfect, sociable, good kid all around. So this things is weird she doesn't do everything slowly but when class is transitioning from one activity to another she the last to do what needs to be done. And needs frequent requests to put on jacket to go home. So teacher can't put finger on what this is since her overall classroom behavior is great. Also now while she's young it's ok but when she's older when school is more structured she needs to listen to teachers better/ right away or she'll get lost in lessons. I also have this problem at home when telling her to get dressed, bathtime, etc. I need to ask her a million times.

Does anyone have this with kids? Is this something that needs to be worked on or she will mature and naturally grow into following directions and listening better?

fiddle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 8:18 am
maybe she just tunes out, and her mind wanders bc shes focused on something else.. or maybe if its something relatively new she should get her ears checked.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 10:42 am
Does he hear okay ?

SingALong

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 11:24 am
hearing is fine. she repeats lessons word for word. so I don't think that its that or she wouldn't know the material that's taught.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 11:34 am
Some children simply need more time than others to change from one activity to another. Why I don't know exactly. Some experience changes as discomforting, and may need more time to adjust to a new routine or whatever. And this does include changing from play-time to circle time or whatever.

Perhaps the teachers can help by going up to her about 3-5 minutes before they announce it to the rest of the class and simply place a gentle hand on her shoulder, and in a quiet tone let her know that "I see you ar having so much fun playing with the trucks. In a few minutes I'm going to announce circle time. I will need you to put the trucks away then and come for circle time...." Or something to that effect.

It will take time, even if it does work, which it might not. This is just an idea.

SingALong

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:51 pm
Thanks for the suggestion both morah and I tried the telling beforehand thing but it doesn't work it's still difficult for her to get her act together. The morah was very clear that my dd isn't being oppositional or deliberate it's just kind of that she's in her own world or doing her own thing

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 5:00 pm
Perhaps you can try and sit down with her and talk to her, tell her how not coming immediately causes problems and why, and that you are now going to help her learn to come. First you are going to give her a private "heads up..." then you are going to ask her to do the task within a short time. She needs to start preparing to do that task, finishing her game etc. BTW, part of the conversation when you actually give her the heads up would be "now in a few minutes what are we going to do? So what do you need to do now?"

You might want to avoid telling her several times; just the once warning, then the "now it is time..." and if she doesn't follow through, then go to her, gentle disengage her from whatever she was doing and lead her to what you want her to do (the teacher should do this as well), saying "now we are going in for circle time...

Otherwise your telling her over and over might become sort of white noise.

You also do want to reward her for doing it immediately. Nothing big; just "wow, look how fast you (whatever)..."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers