Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Question for movie goers (not a religiously based question)

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:14 am
I was just wondering when are you ever able to go see movies? my husband would love to go see at least one movie a week but that would break the piggy bank big time (its 35 shekels, about 9.5 dollars and then the babysitter on top of that.

and sometimes its very hard to even get a babysitter (there are a lot of high schoolers who dorm so they are not home at night when we would want to go)

so, if you do go see movies from time to time, how do you do it?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:22 am
We rarely go because it's so expensive. We generally only go to the Drive-In (it's open during summer and fall) because then we can see 2 or 3 movies for $8 (each) and we can make an entire evening of it.

I did see Avatar in 3d in the theater, I had to see that!

Last edited by DefyGravity on Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:24 am
DefyGravity wrote:
We rarely go because it's so expensive. We generally only go to the Drive-In because then we can see 3 or 3 movies for $8 (each) and we can make an entire evening of it.

I did see Avatar in 3d in the theater, I had to see that!
cool that you live near a drive in.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:38 am
We do it once in a while (like three times a year) it's still cheaper than dinning out and it's just worth the money to do something different. Now that we have the baby it's been a while. I don't want to leave her with a sitter just yet and they charge a full fee for a tiny baby in a carrier (we tried to get into 2012 - B"H they didn't let us in because I started watching it at home and boy was it borring DH enjoyed it though). I think I'm going to send DH to Avatar with a friend because I'm not leaving DD with a sitter yet and I'm not paying for her. And honestly I don't know if I could sit through three hours of sci-fi movie even with no baby in the picture.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 11:42 am
We used to go every week at the Disneyland cinema, but husband complained very new movies aren't analyzed enough online and "when I choose the movie he has to spend half the time looking at the floor". Which is a gross exageration except for a few bad choices I did.

I got fed up of it and don't remember the last time we went (also it tended to give me migraines). We watch on tv or we download and see it on the projector and everyone is happy LOL

mosma

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 1:40 pm
DH and I go out 4 or 5 times a year. My mother lives nearby so I bring DS over for the night so no babysitter money.
Also I have cablevision triple play which gives an optimum rewards card free movie Tuesdays at any Clearview Cinema.
Although I did see Avatar in 3-D. Totally worth it :-)

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 1:43 pm
mostly pick up movies from the library and watch them at home ...

make pop corn - buy nosh ... put the kids to sleep and have fun ...

avatar was totally s/t I wanted to see - but no money and no friends made it a little difficult ...

prettyone

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 1:47 pm
Ruchel wrote:
We used to go every week at the Disneyland cinema, but husband complained very new movies aren't analyzed enough online and "when I choose the movie he has to spend half the time looking at the floor". Which is a gross exageration except for a few bad choices I did.

I got fed up of it and don't remember the last time we went (also it tended to give me migraines). We watch on tv or we download and see it on the projector and everyone is happy LOL

lol I dont go to movies but whenever I rent one my husband has the same complaint. I feel like the tznius patrol (grabbing the laptop and fast forwarding)

levial

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 1:48 pm
arrange a play date in the afternoon on Sunday, and go during matinee.
take a "long lunch" and then make up the hour or two at the end of the day or over the course of days (if its a slow time at work and you don't have a punch the clock job)
trade with similarly minded couple - one weekend you go- next weekend they go...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 3:35 pm
prettyone wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

lol I dont go to movies but whenever I rent one my husband has the same complaint. I feel like the tznius patrol (grabbing the laptop and fast forwarding)

Mine used to be the tznius patrol. He would turn his head and tell me to do it too. Now he has accepted we have different criteria on what's ok to watch.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 4:17 pm
We don't go to the movies often anymore. We're more likely to rent a DVD and watch it at home. We go occasionally for a really great movie. It's not worth the movie ticket + babysitter to do it very often when you can watch the same thing at home.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 1:09 am
levial wrote:
arrange a play date in the afternoon on Sunday, and go during matinee.
take a "long lunch" and then make up the hour or two at the end of the day or over the course of days (if its a slow time at work and you don't have a punch the clock job)
trade with similarly minded couple - one weekend you go- next weekend they go...
your ideas are wnderful but none of them will work

matinee wont work as I live in israel and sunday is a work day like any other.

taking a long lunch break wont work either as we live near jerusalem and my husband works in tel aviv so by the time I got there and stayed for a movie and got home, the babysitting would cost a whole lot (and anyway, my husband woud never go for this idea, he is a stickler when it comes to work, oh well)

the trading weekend thing sounds interesting, that one might work.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 6:39 pm
I don't know how it works in Israel but in the U.S. there are a bunch of silly work holidays not because they're silly but rather because who is benefiting from being off? It's not like a religious holiday or a big family dinner kind of thing. Nobody works but alot of Jewish schools are still open. Presidents Day, Martin Luther King's birthday, Veteran's Day, etc. Alot of us love these holidays because we get to go to lunch with our DH or do some shopping together without the kids. I hope Israel has something like that when you and DH can go out together in middle of the day.

louche

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 9:40 pm
Who goes to movies? I can't remember the last time we went to the movies--it was probably when we went to visit my mil and the whole family went. I don't think we go more than once a year, maybe not even that often. Last time I went to a movie theater it was with a freind of mine, on a day when we were both off from work and our dhs were working.

When we had small children, we'd rent or borrow videos and watch them Saturday night after the kids were asleep. I like that option b/c we can pause the action to go to the bathroom, get a drink and so on. That changed once the kids got older. they stay up later than we do, ds has annexed the living room to do school work, and I don't have the heart to banish him. anyway, once I discovered imamother, who has time to watch movies any more?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics