Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mumps incubation period? - please answer ASAP

amother

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 10:21 am
A family we wanted to go to for shabbos just told us that their kid had mumps 3 weeks ago. The mother said the incubation period is 30 days so he is not contagious, and if any of her other kids got it from that kid they wouldn’t be contagious until Sunday/Monday so her doctor told her it’s totally fine to have guests.

Should we go? Is it really totally fine or not so clear cut? [We are pretty desperate to go away, and don’t have any other options really…but of course the health of our children comes first]. I need to tell her ASAP and don't know what to do.

momtomany

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 10:26 am
mumps isnt really such a bad disease.
unless you or your kids have health problems, chances are they wont catch it even if it was contagious, and even if they did, they'd be perfectly fine anyway. the symptoms are very mild and go away quickly.
if you really want to go so badly, and she said IF they were contagious it wouldnt start until sunday, I dont think you should worry so much.

just my opinion.
my 7 yr old was in class with at least 5 kids who got mumps, he sat right next to all these boys and B"H didnt get it. and the kids that did get it were perfectly fine.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 10:36 am
Thanks for replying. I thought mumps was slightly dangerous for boys specifically (I have 2 little boys). But I did hear that it's better to get sick when one is little as opposed to later on in life...

clowny

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 10:54 am
If the child had it 3 weeks ago, it is definitely not contagious anymore and there is nothing to worry about.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 11:04 am
OK, I googled it :

http://www.vaccineinformation......s.asp

Quote:

How long does it take to show signs of mumps after being exposed?
The incubation period of mumps is 14-18 days, but can range from 14-25 days.

How long is a person with mumps contagious?
Persons with mumps are usually considered most infectious from 1-2 days before until 5 days after the onset of parotitis.

Sounds like we should be ok right?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics