Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Do you know how to make potato kugel on the stove? Plz help!
Previous  1  2

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 4:57 am
MommyLuv wrote:
I've seen a recipe for it in a vegetarian cookbook.

It was called 'Rosti'...maybe a Dutch or Swedish dish?
Any Europeans know the origin?

Rösti is a Swiss dish, but it's not potato kugel. It's made of shredded cooked potatoes and no eggs.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 4:59 am
mamacita wrote:

BTW, why is the above poster amother? I don't get the need to protect your identity in relation to kugel. What

I was wondering the same. Maybe she has a relative on the forum who knows how she makes her kugel and will identify her immediately if she uses her sn. LOL

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 9:09 am
if you cover it ... you lose the crunchy cause the steam will mush it up ...

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 3:33 pm
Quite true. You need to cover the kugel while the first side cooks to keep the raw side from turning gray and then after flipping it, keep the kugel uncovered.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 10:08 pm
sarahd wrote:
mamacita wrote:

BTW, why is the above poster amother? I don't get the need to protect your identity in relation to kugel. What

I was wondering the same. Maybe she has a relative on the forum who knows how she makes her kugel and will identify her immediately if she uses her sn. LOL
I posted as amother because English is not my first language, which can be noticed in my post. I'm afraid it will be easier to reveal my identity.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jan 08 2008, 7:35 am
Don't worry, honey. You're far from the only poster here whose mother tongue isn't English. No one would be able to identify you by that alone. Feel free to reveal yourself! LOL

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Jan 08 2008, 8:12 am
sarahd wrote:
MommyLuv wrote:
I've seen a recipe for it in a vegetarian cookbook.

It was called 'Rosti'...maybe a Dutch or Swedish dish?
Any Europeans know the origin?

Rösti is a Swiss dish, but it's not potato kugel. It's made of shredded cooked potatoes and no eggs.

Thanks for the info. Wink

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 08 2008, 5:21 pm
Would anyone know if I wanted to make the kugel on the stove, using oil, if I could reduce it in the recipe? Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 8:02 pm
No one answered the above but I made it anyway - my regular recipes, sans oil, and instead heated the oil and put the kugel mixture into the pan..

I don't know how long I cooked it, but I flipped it with minimal problems and then cooked the other side. It DEF took less time than baking,and had just as good of a taste !!!

I had a pan to wash after Shabbos , but ...

My only question is, if I takeh buy a hinged pan, am I going to be able to find one big enough? This kugel recipe is just enough for us for Shabbos, and I used a 2 3/4 qt pan to cook it in!

babula

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 1:50 am
I have the pan you are describing. Its called a Frittata pan. Its actually a frying pan and a crepe pan that interlock so you can cook on one side and then flip it over and cook on the other side. You can also use the pans separately.I love it. BTW a frittata is a spanish or italian style omelette that you cook on one side and then flip to cook the other side.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 10:07 am
I pm'd you

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 1:46 pm
bump for pobody's nerfect
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes