Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
FLOUR VS POTATO STARCH

dochesed

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 6:22 pm
This might be a silly question. If a recipe calls for flour can I simply substitute potato starch for it?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 8:45 pm
No. Potato starch is like corn starch.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 8:48 pm
CM is right. You cannot just substitute potato starch for flour.

Btw, potato starch is actually thicker than corn starch. If a recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of cornstarch, you should actually only use about 1 tsp of potato starch as a substitute.

WriterMom

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 8:52 pm
dochesed wrote:
This might be a silly question. If a recipe calls for flour can I simply substitute potato starch for it?

Wheat flour has gluten, which is what makes bread and cake stretchy and fluffy. If the recipe is for something like that, then you can't substitute. If it's to thicken a sauce, or in a breading, or in a souffle, or anything else where it's not the gluten that you want, then that's usually ok. epicurious.com has some good info about substitutions.

dochesed

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 9:14 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies.

MommySA

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 6:06 am
apparently you can add 5/8 cup of Potato FLOUR for every cup of wheat flour - I looked it up on the internet today so haven't tried it yet.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 12:22 pm
what about matza meal? how does that work vs the potato starch?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 2:18 pm
I don't see how it pays to sub for the flour. we have many good pesach difke recipes posted here; stick with something you know that will work
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics