Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Have you noticed people consider 'Jew" to be a bad word

chana613

Post Thu, Oct 28 2004, 5:06 am
When did this start? I chat in Babycenter as Jewishmomof5 and people tend to shorten usernames. I will often get an apology if they shorten mine to "Jew." Seems they think they have insulted me. "Jewish person" seems to be accapetable, but "Jew" does not. For some reason, it bugs me.

zuncompany

Post Thu, Oct 28 2004, 10:39 am
Welcome to the wonderful world of PC.
Wink
sara

mommy2

Post Thu, Oct 28 2004, 8:24 pm
I guess they consider it like calling a french person frenchi

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Oct 28 2004, 8:33 pm
zun, excuse my ignorance whats pc?, is it pc as in computer

zuncompany

Post Thu, Oct 28 2004, 10:01 pm
politically correct= PC Smile

happyduck

Post Fri, Oct 29 2004, 9:08 am
Hi Jew Smile I did not know this is you... live and learn.

Howver, I think the difference is that they shorten it to something that means something, makes a statement about who you are. When people shorten my name to ucky, when they shorten it to happy I gte an explanation about how if I am not happy they are sorry. etc etc etc

chen

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 11:07 pm
Yep, it's considered an ethnic slur because it's deliberately used as one. If you don't want to be offensive you say "Jewish". or even better 'of the mosaic faith'. (took me years to figure out what little ceramic tiles had to do with yiddishkeit LOL)

maybe we should encourage Jews to use the word puiblicly and often. when I was a little girl, if you called a dark-skinned person 'black', that was highly offensive and your mother would say, shh, we don't say 'black', we say '[black person]'. (my grandmother said 'colored'). then somewhaere along the line,activists decided they wanted to be called 'black', and '[black person]' became offensive. then they decided they didn't like 'black' and the correct term became african-american.

well, my friend's husband is from south africa, and she's from california. if you ask me, her kids are african-american jews.

miriam

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 12:38 am
chen wrote:
well, my friend's husband is from south africa, and she's from california. if you ask me, her kids are african-american jews.

Yup, that sounds right to me Very Happy

Rivka

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 8:38 am
I think Jew is only nasty when they say it in a nasty way.
BUt that is usually with tone of voice and on the net there is no tone of voice.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:20 am
my non-jewish neighbor told me that my neice refered to us ny the word "yid", and she (nieghbor-not neice) then specified to her kids that they can never use that term cuz it is considered offensive. it was ok for my neice to use it, cuz she is jewish, but a non-jew cant. I just Scratching Head .

also, the verb 'to jew' is an offensive way of saying 'to bargain down' so maybe that is why they are appologizing.

supermom

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 3:56 pm
actually I can understand because if you call a black niger they will kill a person for it if you are white but a black guy can call his friend yo niger and there is nothing wrong with it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 8:13 pm
When someone says "Israelite / of the Israelite faith / of Israelite confession", I say, "you mean Jew?" Tongue Out
I know Israelite is more polite than Jew because it is a "higher" standard of language, but I don't like Israelite anyway because it would imply Jew is a bad word.

Blossom

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:00 am
put the word JEW in the google search bar.
And see the apology that comes up Smile

Flowerchild

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:42 am
blossom I just typed a jew in google and what I got was a website to some sick man who started an organization against Jew supramacy, saying that we all took over the world and that we are bad etc etc etc you can imagine the rest.

Motek

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 6:50 pm
Actually, with the arrival of Moshiach, Jews WILL reign supreme. Wink

Blossom

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:11 pm
mommy #1 if you'll type the word JEWS in again and look at the right side you'll see a whole apology paragraph from google.

Blossom

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:13 pm
Forget it. It doesn't come up anymore. It used to though and it would say how sorry they are for the results that came up and rather than searching jews one should search for Jewish

Flowerchild

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:14 pm
ok it just freaked me out what I saw, it gave me chills to see such people, its like evil never dies

Blossom

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:29 pm
mommy 1, such people are Puke Xcuse me and their visitors and supporters too. Besides there are such sights agains all kinds of religions including Islam X-ianity or agains nations such as America etc.

There are crazy people out there and the way they can make their ridiculous ideas known is on the web because people won't listen to them and on the computer you can say it all without needing to have someone listening to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics