Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Question for brooklyn ppl who pay for Heat

chatz

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 2:15 am
I just got my National Grid bill. We pay for heating (gas). Apparently my therm usage for February is 3x what it was for January. Jan & Feb are both winter and I haven't exactly been doing any major temp changes around here. Does that make sense?

(I'm in Brooklyn. I'm trying to get a feel if like climated people experienced the same.)

busydev

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 12:27 pm
I am not from brooklyn, but recently we got an electric bill for almost double what we were getting and we freaked out. we were turning things off and really it shouldnt have been that high. and then we saw that the past 3 months were estimated and this month was actual. so it just caught up with us...

Last edited by busydev on Wed, Mar 10 2010, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

eretz

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 12:58 pm
Hi: Gas and Electric prices fluctuate with the commodities market. And if the meter guy doesn't get to read the latest reading, they would estimate. If you'd like better control over the pricing, contact your supplier and they may be able to provide a better rate if you ask them to lock-in a fixed rate for 'x' number of months, that is, 24 or 36. Now is most definitely a good time to do so because I've been watching the natural gas index and it has dropped considerably and stayed low for about 3 days now!

STovah

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 2:45 pm
Check the number of days included in the bill, and check whether it was an estimated or actual reading.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics