Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
20 month old with 4 days of (TMI inside)

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 10:24 am
My 20 month old has been having yellowish -greenish diarrhea for about four days. He was seen by the doctor on Friday bcz he'd been vomiting (which has stopped) and the ped said it's probably jsut a stomach bug. He's acting fine and his appetite is fine. What can it be? Is it normal? anything I should worry about?

justanothermother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 10:51 am
It is normal to last up to a week. What are you giving him to eat and drink?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:31 pm
He's not eating much... yogurt, cheese, snacking on chocolate, cereal and milk, he is not a bread lover so not much in the way of binding solids...

MommytoB

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:50 pm
I could have written this post but here it was 5 days for 3 year old and my 20 month old is on the 5th day. Unforunatly normal. Keep him hydrated!.

justanothermother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 9:53 pm
All that dairy may be hard on his digestive system and slowing down his recovery.

Would he eat bananas, crackers, noodles, rice milk or chicken soup (plus chicken and veggies from soup)?

octopus

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 10:01 pm
my dd also had a 4 day diarrhea bug. It must be going around. no vomiting, though. Poor baby, poor mommy! that's all I can say. It's torture for everyone. The best kinds of foods to give at this point are constipating foods: bananas, white rice, toast (white bread) and water. It's important to keep hydrated. my doc said give pedialyte but my dd would not have any of it! I tasted it myself and it tastes really, really bad. Juice aggravates diarrhea. So I would stay away from that.

mommy24

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 10:05 pm
Octopus would you try powerade(?) I think that is what its called, one of hteses sports drinks that also has electrolytes. If not they also sell a water with electrolytes added to it(smart water I think). My almost 3 yr old was also sick like this for almost a week, I took out dairy and added rice, banans, toast, crackers and the powerade.

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:02 pm
I believe that dairy products should be avoided as much as possible when there is a stomach virus-diarrhea issue. youre supposed to stick to non-irritating foods like rice, bananas, chicken soup, bread, and crackers. also, it cant hurt to try the kiddie acidophilus, called Florastor, (available over the counter) which aids digestion. refuah shleimah!!

MommytoB

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 12:14 am
The old advice is the BRAT diet -- bananas, rice, apple toast/tea. These days they say normal diet except dairy. The exception to that is yogurt which has good live bacteria and repopulates the gut with the needed bacteria. Powerade is not recommended for kids as it is formulated for adults. Pedialyte comes in ice pops too which my older kids will eat (wont touch the juice). My 20 month old chugs the pedialyte juice though! I am thrilled about that. The important thing is getting liquid in as much as possible - not just water and not milk. If rehydration drinks don't do it, grape juice is a good choice to.

drumjj

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 4:21 am
ive just been in hospital twice with my one yr old bec of this she is on day four of diahorrea and I was told that there is no need to keep her off anything she wants.they say now there is no evidence to support keeping kids off food helps. and also cant u get natural flavours of one the rehydration solutions? and then just add some squash to it to give it a flavour that she likes. but mine wont eat anything still. and is still very weak and not herself.

Israeli Mother

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 2:34 pm
Along with the BRAT diet that someone else already mentioned, giving your child probiotics will help to restore proper intestinal flora and end the diarrhea sooner. Take a probiotic capsule and open it up into a yogurt -- probiotics don't have a bad flavor at all.

mammala120

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 2:50 pm
justanothermother wrote:
All that dairy may be hard on his digestive system and slowing down his recovery.

Would he eat bananas, crackers, noodles, rice milk or chicken soup (plus chicken and veggies from soup)?

I agree. dairy needs to stop untill no diarrhea.

you can add cereals and black tea which has tannins to help. plus the above suggestion
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics