Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler hurts newborn

amother

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 2:15 pm
How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop hurting my newborn? Even with us not taking our eyes off the baby, she manages to really hurt the baby in a second. It's scary! I got pretty angry at her a few times and I feel bad because she's obviously upset about the baby, although she doesn't show it any other way, and my getting upset makes her feel worse. She definitely understands that she isn't supposed to do it. Any advice?

mue2

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 2:36 pm
we had the exact same situation, what you have to do and what we found works is this:
the reason your toddler is hitting the newborn is fro attenion right? the baby is taking away from his attention therefore he is hitting to get attention, if every time toddler hits the baby you say 'no' make sure he knows and understands that what he did is wrong and then pick up the baby and shower it with hugs and kisses and ignore toddler, he will very quickly catch on that by hitting the baby he is only making you give the baby more attention. this works! you have to stick to it tho it took a couple of months!

Tamiri

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 2:41 pm
mue2 wrote:
we had the exact same situation, what you have to do and what we found works is this:
the reason your toddler is hitting the newborn is fro attenion right? the baby is taking away from his attention therefore he is hitting to get attention, if every time toddler hits the baby you say 'no' make sure he knows and understands that what he did is wrong and then pick up the baby and shower it with hugs and kisses and ignore toddler, he will very quickly catch on that by hitting the baby he is only making you give the baby more attention. this works! you have to stick to it tho it took a couple of months!
Oh my goodness, this sounds more like a recipe to make the toddler hate the baby! The toddler craves mom's attention because the baby seems to be getting most of it - and then the mom goes and gives MORE attention to the baby? I don't think a toddler will grasp the reasoning behind that (I sure don't).
First of all, OP, toddlers outgrow it. You have to be diligent. Put the baby out of the way, so to speak, and keep your concentration centered on the toddler. Soon enough, the baby will lose it's cachet and the toddler will move on to bigger and better things.
Have you tried have the baby "give" the elder sib a big present such as a trike or something? That may be a good attention-getter.

cubbie

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 2:52 pm
when dd2 was born dd1 was 2.2 and also very violent. I found that she made an angry face before she attacked, so as soon as I saw her make the face I gave her a hug and it didn't take long before she stopped and came straight for the hug. Spend as much time with the toddler as you can and put together a busy box of special toys that your toddler can only play with when you're "busy" with the baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics